Information: This forum has been set to read only for archive purposes. The link to active FE forum is https://www.fordfe.com/index.php

new guy - probably a stupid question

new guy - probably a stupid question

March 27th, 2004, 3:02 am #1

I am new to the whole big block scene...I have always had vintage Mustangs with the small block power. I just recently purchased a 74 F100 that someone stuck a 400 in. It is tired, and I want rid of it, however, I am BROKE!! Yesterday I picked up a complete 65 352 in need of a rebuild...I am a wanting a 390 though. I assume I can punch the block out and put in 390 crank, rods and pistons...cams are the same right? My biggest concern is heads..can I use the 352 heads, or might the pistons hit?? This whole big block experience is new to me...so any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

April 4th, 2004, 1:54 am #2

if your using the truck for truck things i would rebuild the 352. i have a 67 352 and it is the baddest mofo when it comes to towing, hulling, pullin my boat, things along that line. i also gets somewhat deacent fuel milage

April 5th, 2004, 7:34 pm #3

I think you will need different motor mounts and I am not sure about the Transmission, but suggest you look ito it before you start.

Might be cheaper to jus rebould the 400.

May 7th, 2004, 2:19 am #4

I am new to the whole big block scene...I have always had vintage Mustangs with the small block power. I just recently purchased a 74 F100 that someone stuck a 400 in. It is tired, and I want rid of it, however, I am BROKE!! Yesterday I picked up a complete 65 352 in need of a rebuild...I am a wanting a 390 though. I assume I can punch the block out and put in 390 crank, rods and pistons...cams are the same right? My biggest concern is heads..can I use the 352 heads, or might the pistons hit?? This whole big block experience is new to me...so any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Good on low end? maybe he has 411 gears. No performance. 390 will run circles around a 352 and same on fuel economy. If there is such a thing with a big block.

May 8th, 2004, 12:39 am #5

Thanks
Jeff
go with the 429--4 spd bell housing and auto trans bolts right up--if i remember right so did the accesories the oil pan had to be changed from a car one and used the 429 converter and flex plate. did this to a 79 bronco got 17 to 18 mpg 70 mph with 3:50 gears and 32" tires and had a lot more power than the ole 351m and got 2 to 3 mpg more