Information: This forum has been set to read only for archive purposes. The link to active FE forum is https://www.fordfe.com/index.php

My new 428 finally done!

My new 428 finally done!

January 21st, 2004, 3:34 am #1

Went by the machine shop and payed for it. Now I'm broke so I'm not sure if I will be able to dyno it. Either way I hope to have it in the car and running within 2 or 3 weeks.

It's got the new custom ground solid cam, JE pistons with 10.5:1 compression (vs. about 9.3:1 before), stiffer valve springs (Crane 99895's) along with titanium retainers to control the valvetrain, and I am going to be using 2" Crites headers in place of my 1-3/4" Hookers.

Has anybody used the Crites headers in a cougar or mustang? I heard I might have to grind the shock tower brace down a bit for clearance.

Paul

January 21st, 2004, 10:45 pm #2

I hope it puts a big smile on your face. I wouldn't dyno the motor until it's in the car and broken in properly.

Send us some pics.

I'm presently in the poorhouse too, trying to pay for that darn 928 transaxle rebuild, ouch!

regards, P

January 21st, 2004, 11:44 pm #3

Went by the machine shop and payed for it. Now I'm broke so I'm not sure if I will be able to dyno it. Either way I hope to have it in the car and running within 2 or 3 weeks.

It's got the new custom ground solid cam, JE pistons with 10.5:1 compression (vs. about 9.3:1 before), stiffer valve springs (Crane 99895's) along with titanium retainers to control the valvetrain, and I am going to be using 2" Crites headers in place of my 1-3/4" Hookers.

Has anybody used the Crites headers in a cougar or mustang? I heard I might have to grind the shock tower brace down a bit for clearance.

Paul
Well, I installed Hooker super comps in my 67 mustang. Not a fun job. There is not much room to say the least. I would imagine that you are going to have problems with clearance. Best bet is contact the manufacturer.

January 23rd, 2004, 12:40 am #4

I hope it puts a big smile on your face. I wouldn't dyno the motor until it's in the car and broken in properly.

Send us some pics.

I'm presently in the poorhouse too, trying to pay for that darn 928 transaxle rebuild, ouch!

regards, P
I'll let you guys know when it's in the car. I rebuilt the suspension, added front disc brakes, added new leaf springs and Southside Machine lift bars while the motor was out.

Is your 928 stock?

Paul

January 23rd, 2004, 12:46 am #5

Well, I installed Hooker super comps in my 67 mustang. Not a fun job. There is not much room to say the least. I would imagine that you are going to have problems with clearance. Best bet is contact the manufacturer.
You're right. They were a real bitch to get in there. The Crites headers are multi-piece, each tube is individually bolted to the head, then they all slip into the collector. Supposedly they can be installed one primary tube at a time with the motor already in the car.

As for clearance, I talked with Charlie at Crites today. He said I'd likely have to grind the shock tower brace down a bit on the passenger side for clearance. I'll probably do it on the driver's side too, just to make sure. He said the place to grind was on the top front part of the brace.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Paul

January 23rd, 2004, 1:28 am #6

I think I saw a set similar to the ones you have. Cobra Automotive in CT had a GT 500 with a 427 in it. From what they told me they were quite difficult to install. I have some pics around somewhere. Looked to me like you would have to drop some suspension components to get em in there. Loss of ground clearence might be an issue also. Let me know if you would like to see some pics. I will try to find them.