Information: This forum has been set to read only for archive purposes. The link to active FE forum is https://www.fordfe.com/index.php

GT-40 trivia (photos)

GT-40 trivia (photos)

December 30th, 2003, 4:51 pm #1

Many of we FE fans know the GT-40 project at Ford didn't really bear fruit until they tossed the small block and installed the NASCAR 427 in detuned form. The power level was down to 500-hp and rpm was limited to 6,000 rpm, and the rest was history.

I believe my reference book "The Racing Fords" indicates the FE-powered GT-40 finished 34 miles ahead of the next closest competitor.

So last week I found the DVD "LeMans" starring Steve McQueen, for $9 at Circuit City, and I bought it. As it turns out, the film is absolutely first rate POOR when it comes to a plot, har har, but it is exquisite if you enjoy cinematography of the highest level, especially racing film. As a result, I've played the thing over and over, looking at all the footage again and again. It's especially gratifying if you're a Porsche fan, which I am as well as being a Ford fan. I only own three running Porsche motors at this time and 4 running Ford FE's, all 427s.

So why this post? Well, first of all I recommend you get the DVD of "LeMans" just for the racing footage, but now I wanted to show you what they used in 1970 to film this spectacular race footage. They needed a car that would run with the Porsche 917 and Lola's, the 12-cylinder Matra, the Ferrari, and yes, the 12-cylinder Alfa's too. Guess what it was???

Here is the film car, as it was photographed in 1970 when the LeMans film was made.

Pretty awesome camera car, eh?

P

December 30th, 2003, 7:47 pm #2

....w. the 2CV and the Ford Transit (German prod.) transportation vessel HarH! Harh!! I had one of those, in case you're asking 'bout my racing history LOL.
I read an article just recently about FORD's preparations to serial production of the GT-40. I think that there will be some serious cars in the circus soon.

December 30th, 2003, 9:16 pm #3

Hey, I thought you were a MEL guy! lol

P

http://www.theinformationminister.com/p ... =612276301

January 1st, 2004, 2:23 am #4

Many of we FE fans know the GT-40 project at Ford didn't really bear fruit until they tossed the small block and installed the NASCAR 427 in detuned form. The power level was down to 500-hp and rpm was limited to 6,000 rpm, and the rest was history.

I believe my reference book "The Racing Fords" indicates the FE-powered GT-40 finished 34 miles ahead of the next closest competitor.

So last week I found the DVD "LeMans" starring Steve McQueen, for $9 at Circuit City, and I bought it. As it turns out, the film is absolutely first rate POOR when it comes to a plot, har har, but it is exquisite if you enjoy cinematography of the highest level, especially racing film. As a result, I've played the thing over and over, looking at all the footage again and again. It's especially gratifying if you're a Porsche fan, which I am as well as being a Ford fan. I only own three running Porsche motors at this time and 4 running Ford FE's, all 427s.

So why this post? Well, first of all I recommend you get the DVD of "LeMans" just for the racing footage, but now I wanted to show you what they used in 1970 to film this spectacular race footage. They needed a car that would run with the Porsche 917 and Lola's, the 12-cylinder Matra, the Ferrari, and yes, the 12-cylinder Alfa's too. Guess what it was???

Here is the film car, as it was photographed in 1970 when the LeMans film was made.

P

Too cool. Never knew about the camera car. Great pic's. I imagine using a low car like a GT40 helped get the right perspective, too. The film wouldn't look as good from 7 feet up in the air.

Man, you said it. Great cinematography. The sound recording is phenomenal. That flat 12 Porsche sounds wonderful. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Definitely worth renting or buying.

Paul

January 1st, 2004, 4:46 am #5

P

n/m

January 1st, 2004, 10:34 am #6

P

.....to buy one of eighty 557.500 $ GT-40 cars that Fored is planning for the european market. Most are sold in the U.S.
Have to leave for work. Will get back w. a short run down translation of this article later.
Happy new year to all.

January 1st, 2004, 10:36 am #7

January 1st, 2004, 8:04 pm #8

...that's exactly the total number they produced in the sixties. Although over 2000 orders just from Germany, just 40 will be delivered to our country. Bush revenge? He He!!
I don't know if this is new to you. It is for me, so just in case, here's what the article appx. is about.
First cars to be available next spring. The prize is 150 000 $. It will come w. a 500 HP 5,4 l engine and the body will feature slightly bigger outer dimensions, means slightly higher roof line too,..hmmm!!

There is this guy who paid 557.500 $ for a non existing GT-40 at the Concour d'Elegance im Pebble Beach / CA. The car is still in production and will be stamped w. the ser.# 10. At this prize he may also custom order a few options like upholstery instruments.
Wow that's a fair deal, don't you think so? LOL!!
I personally think that the GT-40 is the best designed car of its' time and still is in this league. Only thing, I don't like the idea of raising its' beltline. It's perfect as is.

January 5th, 2004, 9:36 pm #9

n/m

LeMans has no plot, it just has some of the best racing cinematography and dollars spent on cars anywhere. McQueen was spending his money just earned from "Bullit", along with the money from other investors, and from what I hear, they had a good time and managed not to get into the headlines too much for their use of drugs and booze.

P

January 5th, 2004, 9:47 pm #10

...that's exactly the total number they produced in the sixties. Although over 2000 orders just from Germany, just 40 will be delivered to our country. Bush revenge? He He!!
I don't know if this is new to you. It is for me, so just in case, here's what the article appx. is about.
First cars to be available next spring. The prize is 150 000 $. It will come w. a 500 HP 5,4 l engine and the body will feature slightly bigger outer dimensions, means slightly higher roof line too,..hmmm!!

There is this guy who paid 557.500 $ for a non existing GT-40 at the Concour d'Elegance im Pebble Beach / CA. The car is still in production and will be stamped w. the ser.# 10. At this prize he may also custom order a few options like upholstery instruments.
Wow that's a fair deal, don't you think so? LOL!!
I personally think that the GT-40 is the best designed car of its' time and still is in this league. Only thing, I don't like the idea of raising its' beltline. It's perfect as is.
his are the real deal too, as his father's company (Holman & Moody) played a big part in Ford's success at LeMans. Their motors were the ones Ford used for much of the NASCAR success, and their technology was what filtered into the LeMans effort too.

Lee Holman's GT-40 also comes with a real motor, heh heh. Check it out http://www.holmanmoody.com/gt40/gt40home.htm

The LeMans third place finisher, prepared by Holman Moody.

Another view of the third place Holman Moody car.

John Holman waiting in the rain, for the finish of the 1966 LeMans.

I spoke to Lee Holman one day via telephone. He's a really nice guy, and I wish him all the best with his "real" GT-40's. What would you rather have, a new "replica" built by Ford with a supercharged small block, or one built exactly like the original, with a 500+ horse thumper with torque and history to back it up?

Yeah yeah, I know I'm preaching to the choir here

regards, P