Information: This forum has been set to read only for archive purposes. The link to active FE forum is https://www.fordfe.com/index.php

Engine Rebuild shop Woes

January 13th, 2017, 3:34 pm #1

I am new to this group, and my friends on the VTCI forum said ya'll would be a great help.

Here's my situation.

I bought a '62 TBird about a year ago, that sat in a warehouse for 10 years, had NOT been run but would turn over and was a complete car.

So I started going through it - over a year later and countless hours and a couple thousand dollars in parts, my Tbird was running and stopping.

However, it had a bad exhaust manifold leak, that I thought I could fix myself - yep, 2 of 4 upper bolts snapped off. Only recourse was to pull engine, and if pulling engine, may as well get the old 390 rebuilt.

So, I found what I thought was an ethical, reliable local shop, that quoted me a fair turnkey price.

That was three and a half months ago.

The owner told me last week that the engine had been back from machining a month ago, but they had not started reassembly. He could NOT give me a completion date. So I gave him one - January 30.

Am I being unreasonable? - should I give him 'as much time as it takes'?

I don't want a 'rush job', but I did not realize that the shop was like a taxidermist - they put your deer head (engine) in the freezer for 6 months (or longer), then take it out when they have time to do the work.

When I pushed him, the owner did offer for me to just come get it (but I don't want to bring it home, with disassembled engine in trunk).

Appreciate any advice!

January 15th, 2017, 9:25 pm #2

Try this forum. No one uses this one anymore. We all moved.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182

Some shops are like that. You could assemble it yourself and just pay the guy for machine work. Or find another shop to finish. I had a similar situation waiting 2 months for machine work. When I talked to the owner he was unaware. Finished everything in 2 days and I took it home and started building.

January 16th, 2017, 2:24 am #3

Thanks, Charles - I have done that