Information: This forum has been set to read only for archive purposes. The link to active FE forum is https://www.fordfe.com/index.php

Detroit Locker Noise

Detroit Locker Noise

January 18th, 2004, 11:35 am #1

I installed a Detroit Locker Tru Trac and had the third member totally rebuilt and new axle bearings. I installed Mobile 1 gear lube. At first the unit was quiet and when it locked up it was the same. now the unit makes a loud clunk when the transmission shifts and the rear end locks up. All the u-joints are new and all the rear end and support bushings have also been replaced. Does anyone know if this normal for this unit or is there somthing wrong? There is also no unusual vibrations and the rear end isn't making any whineing noises just this loud clunk. What's wrong?

January 18th, 2004, 6:17 pm #2

as that will make a little noise if it's too loose. Also, did you use a solid spacer as opposed to the crush sleeve type? That can crush too far upon hard launches, changing the pinion depth, and ruining your gears. Whoever set it up ought to know this if they are familiar with a 9". I run the second design Locker made by Detroit Automotive Products in my 67 Shelby, which has hold out rings that the 65-6 didnt have, and its quieter tham the early ones. There will always be some noise due to the cam action of a ratchet design. The solid spacer was stock on the Nodular case with the "Daytona" support. You can ID it by looking at the retainer bolt surfaces, as they will have been turned on a lathe, instead of cast bosses that the std types have. Look at "Randy's Ring and Pinion" site to see all the different pictures, and an excellent tutorial of the all the different rears.
"This morning, I shot six holes in my freezer"

January 19th, 2004, 2:06 am #3

I went to a locally known 4x4 shop that caters to old Bronco parts and does all types of work. Since they also work on rear ends I checked them out. I removed the axles and the 9" open third member from my 70 Ford wagon. I then took the complete Ford third member to them. They then torn the member down and installed a new Detroit Tru Trac with 3:50 gears I purchased from them into the old housing. They installed all new bearings, set and adjusted the new ring and pinion, thrust washer, et.
All I had to do was take the now rebuilt third member home and install it. Installation went fine and then I reinstalled the 28 spline axles which also had new axle bearings. It was quiet at first and now it makes this cluking noise. I drive the car very little so by the time the noise appeared the shop won't cover it under any warranty because it's been just over 1 yr.
I'm getting tired of working on this item so much but yet I don't want to have something happen. If I tear it out again to have them bench check it again it's about $100.00 plus in labor plus my time R & R. Any help or suggestions would and are greatly appreciated.
P.S
When I get on the car under a fairly hard acceleration the rear end appears to lock up well and will even chip the tires when the automatic transmission shifts. It's just this low speed clucking noises that have me puzzeled.
Thanks Kent