When to Pinch Zinnias

When to Pinch Zinnias

March 23rd, 2011, 11:19 pm #1

They are getting their 4th pair of leaves, I am guessing it is time to pinch them back. Should I pinch them back by two pairs, leaving the original two plus the 3rd & 4th?

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:C)
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

March 23rd, 2011, 11:43 pm #2

How are you growing your seedlings Ken? Are they in individual pots or in small cells. If they are in the later you might not want to pinch any time some. If you make them bushier the most vigorous might take over and you would have less plants. It is really terribly early to start zinnias. A lot of us have done it, so you have good company. They are the last thing I start for the summer garden and most years they are planted outside in seedling rows to be transplanted toward the beginning of June. It saves indoor space and the plants are sturdier.

March 24th, 2011, 12:05 am #3

They are getting their 4th pair of leaves, I am guessing it is time to pinch them back. Should I pinch them back by two pairs, leaving the original two plus the 3rd & 4th?

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Yea Ward, the Zinnia's were already planted when you posted to my other thread and I could not get myself to dump them. I wish I had. :c( Next year I will plant them outdoors in a protected area.

They are in flats with individual cells, though I am thinking of moving them to 3 inch pots. The leaf pairs are 5 across and covering the other cells. I pulled one out of the cell and the roots are beginning to wind around the edges. I am thinking that the 3 inch pots won't be enought for long. :c(

I planted Petunia's too and looking at the seed package it states 120 days to flower. So I messed up on a lot of places. :c(

Next year will be better.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

March 24th, 2011, 12:17 am #4

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
You can probably nurse them along. Don't feed them and only water only as needed. Putting them in a coldish area might help too. Lots of us have kept them going when we started them too early. If you have more seed you might interplant it with seedlings at planting time. Zinnias get kind of old looking as the season progresses and the younger plants would look better in late summer and fall.

What Zinnia did you plant?

I am thinking about a big zinnia year because I don't seem to have seeds for a couple of other butterfly plant I usually grow. My neighbor grow out the Lilliput series last year and we collected seed from the semi-doubles in the orange range. There is also a collected set of tall orange shade cactus zinnia. They're fine for butterflies and it is nice to have something big and bold blooming among all the small hummingbird flowers.

March 24th, 2011, 12:35 am #5

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
I bought Zinia Red Kings and Zinia Purity. No latin names on these Burpee packages.

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

March 24th, 2011, 12:51 am #6

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Ken,

Don't feel bad at all, I've been growing from seed for about 5 years now and I generally sow some seeds earlier than I should have. Ward started the seed sowing thread to help those of us that are newbies, but my gardening knowledge is mostly from trial and lots of error. It takes several years of making the same mistakes over again before I say "well Duh" why do I expect different results when I make the same mistakes.

I started Min Labota on 2/28 and they are 3 inches high. These can actually be sown directly outdoors in May also and get the same results, so why do I do it every year?? Well, in my defense I love vines and this one is so pretty as it grows and I love to watch its progress.

Ward is a very seasoned gardener,alot can be learned from the old timers.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B

March 24th, 2011, 1:18 am #7

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
I commend you, Ken. I've tried Zinnias before & they seem to die very easily from dampening off. I have several solid colors to direct sow this year. I'm going to plant all 1 color in big bunches for a WOW factor. I've always bought a few Zowie's the past couple of years & both Hummers & Butterflies use them.

Ward...what B-Fly seeds are you looking for?

The annual Coreopsis tinctoria 'Dwarf Red' aka Red Plains Coreopsis was very fast & easy to sow & gave quite a punch at the front of a border as they only get about 6" tall. A few came up from seed the following year also. I bought a bunch of these to direct sow as well.

[/IMG]

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

March 24th, 2011, 2:23 am #8

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Hi Joni,

I can't be afraid of something I have no idea about. LOL

I think I will put a fan down there as Pam suggested. I need to water less too. I did not sterilize the seed mix that I got. He's hoping the dampening stays away!

I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

March 24th, 2011, 3:14 am #9

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Well... took a few photos with my cell phone, did not come out that great, but here are a few photos of what I have growing at the moment,

Zinnia's:

Viola's:

Canna's:

If you look carefully at the canna's you will see green forming on the parimeter of the pots. I read that when it comes to Canna's you can never be too wet, I guess I need to water a little less.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

March 24th, 2011, 6:46 am #10

Thanks,

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
I'm really glad this zinnia discussion happened just now. Last night I nearly started some Cut-And-Come-Again zinnias under my lights. I decided it might be a little early, especially here in the PNW where the soil & air temps stay cool for so long. If I get my greenhouse put together in a timely manner, I'll just start some in cell packs out there in a month or so.

Somewhere around here I have some Profusion zinnia seeds harvested in Texas...they got a lot of BF use down there.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

Confirmation of reply: