What kind of flower is this?

What kind of flower is this?

September 25th, 2010, 3:39 am #1

Saw this growing in the backyard of a house that borders a public golf course I was playing.

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

September 25th, 2010, 2:15 pm #2

It is a Datura I think, likely a Datura Innoxia.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

September 25th, 2010, 3:38 pm #3

Saw this growing in the backyard of a house that borders a public golf course I was playing.

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
aka, moonflower or jimson weed. They are beautiful, but reseed like the dickens. I have a datmansia that is a cross between a brug and a datura, and it reseeds like the datura. I try to cut all the little spiney seed pods off before they can open......but I am not always successful at this so I have to pull them up the next Spring.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

September 25th, 2010, 4:14 pm #4

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
It is just at the edge of the golf course and their property,and I thought it might be a self-seeder datura.

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

November 6th, 2011, 3:15 pm #5

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
Bob, that is a native plant, Datura wrightii. D. inoxia and D. metel [metelloides] have smooth leaves. This one has fuzzy leaves, hence their sage like color. Those must be either early morning shots or on a cooler day, since sunlight/warmth force closure of those flowers. They are often called "moonflowers" since they bloom at night. Hawkmoths [hummingbird moths] are the primary pollinator and their larvae feed on them, too. Hornworms also leave alone the precious seed pods, which are spikey just in case a wandering cat should forget to just eat leaves, not fruit. Some other names are "thornapple."

November 13th, 2011, 4:17 pm #6

-
Cheers,Bob

LEX,Ky.
THANKS! I believe that was an early morning shot.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

Confirmation of reply: