Weight lifting

August 10th, 2018, 3:30 pm #1

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/gol ... L_20180810

Agree?  Disagree?  

I have heard teachers say that Tiger got thoroughly messed up by Hank Haney's swing changes.  Also working on his swing for the incredible number of hours that he put in is a factor.  Of course  Haney claims it was all of the military training that messed up Tiger's knee and back.  

I would say that if a young player is long off the tee and winning there is no point in becoming a body builder.  Just stick with what works!  Live a clean life and have a good diet and do some golf specific exercises and flexibility work to try to hold off the aging process as long as possible.

I guess that the real question is whether or not serious heavy lifting hurts a players golf game?

Herbert
Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right

August 10th, 2018, 4:16 pm #2

I mentioned this in my Bridgestone post, and I will again here. The majority (90% ?) of the tour players are anything but "buff", and normal in overall size and stature.  In person this is very easily seen. However, they are all in tremendous physical shape and very flexible. Some of them are what we would call skinny. But just like an expert martial artist, they make every use of physical and biomechanics to generate incredible power. As Moe used to say - "purity of technique". The smaller players really lag the club a lot. In person it always looks like they are barely swinging. 

August 10th, 2018, 5:06 pm #3

From my layperson's view, I'd tell a pro: Don't do serious heavy lifting.   Toned flexibility seems to be the "best" golf shape to be in, and if it looks skinny, so be it.  And, being really muscular/power lifting strong and being flexible do NOT go hand-in-hand.  Maybe theoretically possible but I've never heard of a bulked up guy who was very flexible.  Also, like Herbert said: Stick with what works.

From a slightly more scientific perspective, but still guessing: Seems like if you have time beyond your golf practice (a touring pro should, I guess), spend it on flexibility exercises, not getting fat, basic strength maintenance, and anything that helps stave off the natural aging process (arthritis, loss of muscle strength, loss of range of motion).  Further, if you're a pro, analyze your swing from the perspective of the parts of your body that it unduly stresses, and either tweak your swing to reduce those stresses, or do targeted exercises to strengthen/help the stressed areas.   Seems like a top-tier college player and a reasonably successful touring pro could do that -- the college guy because a top-tier program will have access to (hopefully good) team physiologists, and the pro because he's got the bucks, the time, and can hire folks to help him.

August 11th, 2018, 9:33 am #4

"Technical lifts that are very good for golf":

It will be interesting to see how Brooks and Dustin do long term!

Herbert

August 12th, 2018, 12:08 am #5

Watching Dustin do those dead lifts makes me nervous on his behalf.  You can do everything right, work hard to be limber, and so on, and still pull something or hurt yourself somehow.   In my own life that started after I turned 40, even when I was in good shape; now it happens to me all the time (granted, I'm not in great shape these days), even when I'm just reaching up to a high shelf or something simple.  These guys have a few years til then.  Are those dead lifts (and whatever else they do) really making him a better golfer?   Looking back to my previous post on this, I guess I would say, whatever Hale Irwin and Bernhard Langer do, that's what they should do.  Me too, for that matter! Having said all that, I think Gary Player was really into some form of weight lifting, and he had a long career and still looks like he's doing well.

August 17th, 2018, 2:57 pm #6

I am an older guy in my fifties. I used to lift about 3 times a week with a bit of aerobics. I was careful and didn’t try to over do it. Yet, I started to get little nagging injuries in back, elbow, and shoulder. I stopped exercising and gained 30 pounds.  

I am now back exercising again. This time I am skipping the weights but swim laps instead. I do freestyle, breast, front crawl, and side crawl.  I am losing weight plus seeing some a bit of definition especially in the core.  

I don’t know how weight I have lost but with food portion control, swimming and other aerobic exercises I definitely am liking the results.  

August 17th, 2018, 3:32 pm #7

brutus37 wrote: I am an older guy in my fifties. I used to lift about 3 times a week with a bit of aerobics. I was careful and didn’t try to over do it. Yet, I started to get little nagging injuries in back, elbow, and shoulder. I stopped exercising and gained 30 pounds.  

I am now back exercising again. This time I am skipping the weights but swim laps instead. I do freestyle, breast, front crawl, and side crawl.  I am losing weight plus seeing some a bit of definition especially in the core.  

I don’t know how weight I have lost but with food portion control, swimming and other aerobic exercises I definitely am liking the results.  
That's great young man!  Keep up the good work and remember it is not motivation or inspiration that will keep you in shape it is mundane and common place routine that gets it done.  The hardest thing about an exercise program is getting that first rep in every session.   On the eating habits side of it here is a good article on how to manage portion control:
https://jamesclear.com/eat-healthy-without-thinking

Make it easy on yourself!

Here's to a happy and healthy life!

Herbert 

Confirmation of reply: