Ward, one of the salvia hybrids

Ward, one of the salvia hybrids

July 16th, 2012, 7:50 pm #1

You gave me. Thought you would like to see the looms.anothe is setting buds right now and another looks like scarlet spires.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 18th, 2012, 12:01 am #2

Pam - Are those blooms two-toned? They look dark pink and light pink! Sweet!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

July 18th, 2012, 1:16 am #3

You gave me. Thought you would like to see the looms.anothe is setting buds right now and another looks like scarlet spires.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Yes they are two toned, very oretty. Where's Waldo? I mean Wardo??

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 18th, 2012, 9:37 am #4

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

That looks like Dancing Dolls and I don't remember giving you one. So do you think this is a winner, worth keeping? None of the ones down here are showing two-toned flowers like that. Where's Suchie, she grows Dancing Dolls and might have an opinion. Thanks for posting.

July 18th, 2012, 2:41 pm #5

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

I am so far from an expert on this and have never grown this particular salvia, but here's a photo from Plant Delights. The flowers look a little two-toned to me:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Salvia-Dan ... info/8124/

It's very attractive and one I might just have to try next season!

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5

July 18th, 2012, 2:46 pm #6

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

I agree Kathi, It is two toned. It is very pretty and I seem to be drawn to those that are even slightly two-toned but Hot Lips is still a fav. Will have to order at least one next year. I was hoping it would show up again locally this year but it never did.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 18th, 2012, 3:49 pm #7

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

There are more than a dozen Dancing Dolls at the park, but no seeds were collected from it. It is hard to tell from the photo how close the seedling is to Dancing Dolls, but it looks fairly close. There is a salmon one from the seed batch that is to a lesser degree bi-colored. It seems like Pam did pretty well from afterthought extra seedlings. If you just saw all the seedlings side by side you'd never guess they were collected basically from the same plant, they are that different.

July 19th, 2012, 7:16 am #8

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Not to derail the topic, but Penny mentioned Hot Lips. I noticed mine are having a bit of a blooming slump...down to very few blooms at the moment. I believe I recall this being a normal slow down, which is generally followed by a new flush. Maybe my hummers will take the opportunity to explore some of the other options...say, maybe...the Petunia exserta?! I have a lot of those in bloom - the majority still in 4" pots sitting in flats on my garden bench...right out in the middle of the backyard. I haven't seen a hummer even come close to those. For that matter, I've seen almost no activity at the hanging baskets of calibrachoas or fuchsias.

C'mon little dudes & dudettes...it's time to Hummer Up!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

July 19th, 2012, 9:35 am #9

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

I saw what I believe was an immature a couple of times yesterday out front. It hit the Mesa Azure, Furman's Red an Agastache Tutti Frutti offspring and Cuphea David Verit. In the mix between the Agastache and David Verity was a patch of Petunia exserta but it was totally passed over.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 19th, 2012, 10:13 am #10

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Ward, I am around and stop here couple of times a week. Have family visiting from India and with the garden withering from my lack of attention have not had inspiration to post.

Pam, that is dancing dolls. You took a last minute cutting from one of the plants near the building. It is a fantastic rooter and I stuck one of the cuttings in the ground and it rooted. It is the only salvia whose blooms have not shrunk in the summer heat. Even Penny's Smile blooms are much narrower than they were at the start of the season. I am the only one whose garden looks so miserable. Have been wanting to post pictures of Shell dancer (Ward you are going to want this one), a new purple and burgundy one both seem very promising if they return.

Suchie

Confirmation of reply: