The Pond and its Lily's-Longwood Gardens

The Pond and its Lily's-Longwood Gardens

July 14th, 2012, 1:22 pm #1

I made a separate thread because of pixel uploading, and I hate clickables. If any wants I can certainly make a separate thread with those (Ward) if you would like. Not a problem in the least.

NOW do you SEE why the Pond Lily's were my favorite??? Those Water Platters were Awesome!!! And the gardner was very nice also!! If I lived near there, I would volunteer in a heartbeat!!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 14th, 2012, 1:27 pm #2

I have never seen anything like that before....that was awsome! Are the water platters what the lily pads are grown in? I am totally clueless.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on July 14th, 2012, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 14th, 2012, 2:39 pm #3

I made a separate thread because of pixel uploading, and I hate clickables. If any wants I can certainly make a separate thread with those (Ward) if you would like. Not a problem in the least.

NOW do you SEE why the Pond Lily's were my favorite??? Those Water Platters were Awesome!!! And the gardner was very nice also!! If I lived near there, I would volunteer in a heartbeat!!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Most definitely different.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

July 14th, 2012, 6:13 pm #4

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

No Penny, Nothing grows inside the plates, I did see a large bud growing from under it but it may have just been another plate. It was a little difficult to converse with that worker, as SHE was in the water and I was 20 feet away on land. She was smiling away though, loves her job. I know I would too!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm #5

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

OK so what is the purpose of the plates? I hate to keep asking questions. I have just never seen anything like that before

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 14th, 2012, 7:23 pm #6

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

What great photos! Thanks for sharing them. Just beautiful!

July 14th, 2012, 7:45 pm #7

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

No idea Penny, have to google it. I just tought they were so cool in the pond.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 14th, 2012, 8:04 pm #8

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

It is cool. I wonder if it is a landing pad for dragonflies and frogs?

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 14th, 2012, 9:35 pm #9

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Pam - I love the water gardening photos! My favorite way to garden. I have a number of water containers in my garden.

The "plates" that everyone is asking about are actually water lilies called "Victoria Waterlilies". They have large pads that can actually hold a small child as seen in some of these photos:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Victoria ... 80&bih=801

Wished I had a pond big enough to grow some!

Did you see any water lotus, Pam?

July 14th, 2012, 10:29 pm #10

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Becky
Thank you for the additional information. Those are absolutely increcdible. I have never seen such a thing much less heard of them before.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

Confirmation of reply: