The latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific

The latest Hummer magnets here on the Pacific

June 10th, 2011, 1:23 am #1

Lots of furious activity the last few days - mostly Anna's but a few Black Chinned and Costas, and one Allens. So, here are the top five Salvias attracting these birds, in order of their level of attention:

Salvia gesneriifolia 'Tequila' - still in full bloom!
Salvia forsskaolii - a very close second
Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor
Salvia iodantha 'Louis Saso'

OK - I'll do #6. Surprisingly to me, it is Salvia urica. Salvia semiatrata starting to get more attention, as well as Salvia patens. I do believe the volume of flowers has something to do with the preference.

I'm going to put pictures on our Facebook site.

This is a fun time of year, but I want to go to sleep before its completely dark!

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
On the Pacific Coast, USDA Zones 8 & 9

June 10th, 2011, 1:35 am #2

But Kermit, right before dark is when all the best territorial fighting happens!

I've also got a few Anna's (+ fledglings) and an Allen's. Would love to see a Costa's!

I've been feeling more distressed at leaving these guys behind to move, but I will just plant more hummer flowers at the next place, and it's nearly an acre!

I agree that S. urica is a good one. I've also got the weird urica which is shaped like a bowl (can be seen on Robin's site).

Probably the most magnificent Salvia blooming now is S. interrupta... and yes, it's a hummingbird magnet.

Bay Area, CA

June 10th, 2011, 1:36 am #3

Lots of furious activity the last few days - mostly Anna's but a few Black Chinned and Costas, and one Allens. So, here are the top five Salvias attracting these birds, in order of their level of attention:

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

OK - I'll do #6. Surprisingly to me, it is Salvia urica. Salvia semiatrata starting to get more attention, as well as Salvia patens. I do believe the volume of flowers has something to do with the preference.

This is a fun time of year, but I want to go to sleep before its completely dark!

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
Crap. I bought 'Tequila' a while back & it was one of the only plants of several not planted yet that had died. Think it missed getting watered & then too much. Bummer.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

June 12th, 2011, 5:57 pm #4

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
This is by far the most popular hummer plant blooming now, even more than all the salvias! Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon'. I really love the flowers! The nectar supply must get quickly replenished, as it gets used all day long.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bay Area, CA

June 13th, 2011, 4:07 am #5

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
Hello Michelle,

A wonderful pic and plant! Too bad it's just a winter blooming plant

Susan Louise
from Branford CT/ live in Lincoln NE
Zone 5

Last edited by SusanLouise on June 13th, 2011, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2011, 4:20 am #6

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
That photo was taken yesterday. Not exactly winter. Though, many Grevilleas DO bloom in winter. This one, for instance, which I absolutely loved:

This photo was taken today!

Bay Area, CA
Last edited by voodoobrew on June 13th, 2011, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2011, 3:00 pm #7

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
Michelle, how large do your Grevilleas become? Does the size vary much from one cultivar to another? Beautiful pics - thanks!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

June 13th, 2011, 5:44 pm #8

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
Kermit,

Interesting that several of these salvias, which are supposed to be winter blooming, are blooming now. When we tried Salvia gesneriifolia 'Tequila' , it bloomed in February in our sunroom---not exactly a hummer magnet for our area! We have never tried Salvia Iodantha because it doesn't bloom at the right time of the year. Interesting!!

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5

June 14th, 2011, 2:55 am #9

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
This year I have seen more out of season blooming than I recall. Salvia iodantha and purpurea just have not stopped since last fall, and now are increasing. And the giant Tequila! Generally they stop blooming for us in April or so. I had to cut down the wagneriana because it had grown over a path, or it would still be blooming. And the holwayi would be as well, if it had stayed in bounds. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any good theory as to why. It was the coldest Winter in several decades.

A real joy for us now is the Salvia plectranthoides, which we are enjoying very much. I'm going to plant a few patens around one of the plant, to get a big flower - little flower effect. I'll use Cambridge Blue - I'm thinking the colors will be very nice together.

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California

June 14th, 2011, 1:40 pm #10

Salvia chiapensis
Salvia discolor

Kermit

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
Kermit - I have to say that one of my very favorites is Salvia Chiapensis. I had several the last few years and they were a definite hummer magnet! I just realizied that I do not have one yet this year. Have to get shopping and hope my local nursery has some this year.

Michelle - those Gravellias are just gorgeous! Great pics.

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6

Confirmation of reply: