strangest thing

strangest thing

June 24th, 2012, 1:43 pm #1

For years I have always grown Bee Balm for my little hummers. Always their favorite by far. This year there are 100's in bloom but not one Hummer has fed from them. I'm wondering if the nectar quality was somehow diminished due to our very early and strange spring here in Wisconsin. They do use the feeders but none of the flowers. Any ideas?

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.

June 24th, 2012, 6:40 pm #2

Lazy, more bang for their buck. When the juvies arrive training will begin and your gardens will be a joy once again.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

June 24th, 2012, 6:47 pm #3

For years I have always grown Bee Balm for my little hummers. Always their favorite by far. This year there are 100's in bloom but not one Hummer has fed from them. I'm wondering if the nectar quality was somehow diminished due to our very early and strange spring here in Wisconsin. They do use the feeders but none of the flowers. Any ideas?

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.
Hummers seem to be strange creatures in their feeding habits. Sometimes when they come in it will be feeders only , another time it will s. guaranitica, yet another time it will only be cupheas and another time it will be all of the above and then some. There would seem to be no rhyme or reason to their madness but Im sure there is.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

June 24th, 2012, 8:03 pm #4

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.
When this happens in my own yard, I suspect that it is caused by me having a new kind of plant that they find they like better.
Dell

June 24th, 2012, 9:16 pm #5

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.
FINALLY this post showed. Thanks for all the ideas. By the time the juvies show up most of the flowers will be spent. 3 weeks early this year. Sorry for repeating myself. lol

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.

NLN

June 25th, 2012, 12:07 am #6

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.
Kay,

As Dell mentioned, sometimes hummers will disappear from gardens and feeders when a more favored plant begins flowering nearby. Here in southern Louisiana, when Japanese Honeysuckle [late March] and Mimosa [May to mid-June] come into bloom, hummers often abandon their usual haunts, only to return after the flowering begins to wane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/

June 25th, 2012, 3:50 pm #7

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.
Nancy,

I am so glad to hear your opinion on this. I have always thought that when the Japanese Honeysuckle and Mimosa were in bloom, my chances of seeing hummers dropped considerably. Now that their peak bloom is over, I am now seeing more hummers than I ever have. This vine and tree grow in the wild in locations all around my area. I believe that they have a lot to do with my hummers disappearing after their return from the spring migration northward. I even tested this theory one time by visiting a stand of large Mimosa not far from my home when in full bloom. I almost immediately spotted a hummer browsing in one of the trees to my delight. Just my two cents worth!

Jim
south Georgia

June 25th, 2012, 4:49 pm #8

Kay
Zone 3b
Poynette, Wi.
I saw a possible reason for my current shortage, the trumpet vine across the road is blooming several weeks ahead of time and in great masses.

Confirmation of reply: