Still waiting on Goldflame, tick tock aphid time bomb

Still waiting on Goldflame, tick tock aphid time bomb

April 21st, 2012, 6:20 pm #1

Like I said in another thread , I reluctantly resorted to applying Bonide systemic granules in late early february to all my honeysuckles. I have tried a myriad of different "safe"products thoughout the last 5 years and every spring my honeysuckles are attacked and the first bloom is destroyed. Some never recovering. I believe the insecticide lasts in the vine up to 3 months. Considering I dont usually have any hummers till very late april early may, i made the decision to use the pesticide. 3 months is fairly accurate because up until last week, i had no aphids. Now it is a relatively minute infestation compared to other years. i cut off the buds with shriveling and aphids which amounted about 5% of the buds. A Huge i povement. I think Bonide destoyed the eggs that generally winter over on the plants. This really was a last result and am happy with the results. I will use the 3month rule from now on and apply only once in late January.
Last edited by seafire1 on April 30th, 2012, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2012, 7:40 pm #2

Pam

First let me say your honeysuckles look healthy and happy.

Second I have also used the bonide system granuals inside for my flats and cuttings . I can say nothing but good things about this product as it eliminated gnats for me thru this winter when I normally have to deal with them. The container says its good for 8weeks but it proved to last even longer than that.

If I recall you said you applied this to your vines in late Feb. so I think you should have no problems or concerns with feeding hummers. ON my coral honeysuckle I had some aphids so I used neem and then just started pinchings off any infected flower stems and/or curled or ugly leaves. So far my major wheeler has not been affected by aphids.

So although I have not applied bonide to these plants I still will show the difference between an infected and unhappy vine vs an unaffected and happy one.

3 photos of coral honeysuckle followed by photos of major wheeler
notice beside the second image of major wheeler is my 25" blue ensign that was covered all winter.

you can see remains of the affects of aphids by flower and leaf curl

>

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

April 21st, 2012, 9:19 pm #3

Like I said in another thread , I reluctantly resorted to applying Bonide systemic granules in late early february to all my honeysuckles. I have tried a myriad of different "safe"products thoughout the last 5 years and every spring my honeysuckles are attacked and the first bloom is destroyed. Some never recovering. I believe the insecticide lasts in the vine up to 3 months. Considering I dont usually have any hummers till very late april early may, i made the decision to use the pesticide. 3 months is fairly accurate because up until last week, i had no aphids. Now it is a relatively minute infestation compared to other years. i cut off the buds with shriveling and aphids which amounted about 5% of the buds. A Huge i povement. I think Bonide destoyed the eggs that generally winter over on the plants. This really was a last result and am happy with the results. I will use the 3month rule from now on and apply only once in late January.
Beautiful plants that will have your hummer drooling.

Pam,

Is that a variagated leaf honeysuckle? That plant itself should sell your house.

Suchie
Last edited by Suchiek on April 21st, 2012, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2012, 9:52 pm #4

I can only hope mine grow to be that beautiful!

Paula
nw PA/zone 5
heat zone 4

<span style="width:170px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

April 21st, 2012, 9:59 pm #5

mine looks horrible this year. Nearly all the leaves are black or partially black as well as all the buds that were developing from the freezing weather. Don't know if mine will recover this year or not. I cut quite a bit out and now there are only leaves at the very top where I couldn't reach. I am not even going to bother to cover it up when it starts snowing tomorrow. I may just cut the whole thing down once it finally warms up enough to get outside again. It just breaks my heart to see it looking so bad. Mine had gotten 8 ft. wide and over 10ft. tall

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

April 21st, 2012, 10:23 pm #6

@Steve. Believe me, I knw what an infected Honeysuckle looks like. Yours at least has some decent blooms. Last year it was pitiful, i wanted to pull(well dig) them all out. My goldflame has NOT had decent blooms in years. It is loaded with buds and I am panting over it in anticipation!

@Suchie. The Plant is: Lonicera periclymenum Harlequin. It is very slow growing. I moved it 2seasons ago because it wasn't getting enough sun. The leaves are lovely. I have only had a few blooms prior to this season. Again, waiting here impatiently for it to bloom.

@whoevers listening I also have a Crossvine growing through it that has not bloomed yet. It is 2year old from seed! Oh the patient gardener! I have little patience except where gardening is concerned.

@Penny, you know I've tried everything. This is the solution. I walked around, with my apron on, and just cut off the few infected buds. Gatered them in the garbage can and sprayed them silly. Revenge is sweet!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B

April 21st, 2012, 11:19 pm #7

Pam

The only reason my CH looks half way decent is pulled off all the infestation so Im left with what you see.

Earlier this year I was so disgusted with the aphid infestation on my goldflame that I totally stripped it not a leaf left but now at least it is starting to leaf out again.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

April 21st, 2012, 11:42 pm #8

Pam, your vines are looking very good. It sure is a nice plant when it's clean and healthy.

Steve, your major wheeler is quite nice. It would be great if it stays aphid-free beyond this year.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

<span style="width:180px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

April 22nd, 2012, 12:32 am #9

Dan-- Yes it would be but that remains to be seen.

Pam-- I may try your trick next year on my goldflame and coral honeysuckle.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

April 22nd, 2012, 1:35 am #10

Pam - Your Lonicera periclymenum Harlequin is gorgeous! I didn't even know there was a variegated honeysuckle! I did a google and saw that it's range only goes to zone 8. I wonder if I could push the zone to 9b? LOL! I want one for sure! It would look great along my privacy fence!

Steve - How old is your vine?

I've never seen aphids (or anything else for that matter) bothering my honeysuckle vines. They are the most pest-free vines in my yard. Maybe it's the cultivar? Maybe some are more enticing to aphids?

I can't get over the beauty of that "Harlequin" cultivar! Thanks for sharing your photos, Pam!

Confirmation of reply: