Still no hummingbirds yet but

Still no hummingbirds yet but

June 20th, 2016, 12:07 am #1

We saw a hummingbird high up in the trees during a walk through the woods here in a Staten Island park. We lingered in the area but did not see the hummingbird again. We figured a nest could be nearby and on our way back that's exactly what we found! It was barely 10 feet away from the trail.

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Thanks to Ward as we would have never thought it was possible and thus never looked.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

June 20th, 2016, 12:38 am #2

Now I am glad we didn't find one a couple of weeks ago. There is nothing like finding a nest yourself. Fantastice!
Southern New Jersey

June 20th, 2016, 12:47 am #3

We saw a hummingbird high up in the trees during a walk through the woods here in a Staten Island park. We lingered in the area but did not see the hummingbird again. We figured a nest could be nearby and on our way back that's exactly what we found! It was barely 10 feet away from the trail.

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Thanks to Ward as we would have never thought it was possible and thus never looked.
Congratulations, Adrienne! Ward is correct, there is nothing like finding one yourself. Finding a nest is really thrilling!
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

June 20th, 2016, 2:09 am #4

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Nice find !!!
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

June 20th, 2016, 4:25 am #5

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Gratz
Northlake, IL

June 20th, 2016, 4:55 am #6

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Adrienne. You deserve this and much more!! In our 18 years of doing this, we have not found a hummingbird nest. Very exciting!!

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

June 20th, 2016, 12:52 pm #7

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Thanks everybody. The nest had those adorable telltale bits of lichen. I'm hoping to find it again in the future and bring my point and shoot camera with the good zoom. Maybe we'll get to see some fledglings in the future.
-Adrienne

June 20th, 2016, 12:59 pm #8

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Wow, how did you ever find that? Amazing.

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

June 20th, 2016, 1:35 pm #9

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

You've kind of killed two birds with one stone. Do Ruby-throated nest on the island? Check. Might we expect to see fledglings in our garden? A qualified check.
Was this next in that little park near your home?
Southern New Jersey

June 20th, 2016, 3:59 pm #10

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

It was a larger park by the water. Any idea what kind of tree that is?
-Adrienne

June 20th, 2016, 4:23 pm #11

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Might be Sweet or Black Birch?
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

June 20th, 2016, 5:33 pm #12

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

It is a wild cherry.
Southern New Jersey

June 22nd, 2016, 12:51 pm #13

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

I relish the day I find a hummer nest!!
This year I found my first Oriole so
my next one will be a hummer nest
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

June 22nd, 2016, 1:23 pm #14

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

Adrienne-- Amazing find on the nest, thats something the majority of us will never find.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 23rd, 2016, 2:58 am #15

Can you spot the nest?

Here's a close up:

We went back today with a better point and shoot camera. Here's a closer shot:

We staked it out over half an hour and did not see the hummingbird return to the nest.
I was starting to think it is an abandoned nest.

However, while perusing the many photos and videos I took, I found a single video
in which I detected something I could not with the naked eye at the nest:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xDpnzvIlJFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To get the best view you can click the High Definition settings. See 00:28 in particular.
I don't know about you but that looks like a beak to me which moved
on its own accord, not by wind, unlike anything else.
Perhaps it was a baby or perhaps the female was on the nest the entire time.
What do you think?

Next time I'm going to bring my tripod because it was a real pain in the neck trying to maintain a good angle. I just wish I had a twenty foot monopod lol! Of course I would never want to disturb them. This is super exciting!

We also saw a Yellow Warbler(?) feeding its baby or a cowbird baby, can't tell for sure but it looked really big. This nest was even higher and harder to see but we managed to get a video of it too:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Dhovqg0zoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Adrienne