Starlings dipping something red in my birdbath, then fly away with it.

Starlings dipping something red in my birdbath, then fly away with it.

May 27th, 2012, 9:42 pm #1

That's right, for the last few days Starlings come to my birdbath with something red in their mouths. They drop it in the birdbath, swoosh it around, and then chew on it a bit and fly away carrying it off. What ever it is it looks sort of like swedish fish! It could almost pass for watermelon, but it is to tough to be that.

Anyone have any idea what this is? A few years ago I posted here about them dropping white balls in the birdbath and I found out they were dropping their babies poop sacks away from the nest.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:C)
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

May 28th, 2012, 5:04 am #2

That's a puzzler - fouling the water with the poop sacks - they could drop them anywhere...if your starlings are that odd who knows what the red things are?

I was guessing the Indian strawberries which are fruiting now and seem to be a favorite of birds but they don't look like swedish fish.

Lisa
Central NJ/ z6b
Heat zone 5/6

May 29th, 2012, 5:30 am #3

That's right, for the last few days Starlings come to my birdbath with something red in their mouths. They drop it in the birdbath, swoosh it around, and then chew on it a bit and fly away carrying it off. What ever it is it looks sort of like swedish fish! It could almost pass for watermelon, but it is to tough to be that.

Anyone have any idea what this is? A few years ago I posted here about them dropping white balls in the birdbath and I found out they were dropping their babies poop sacks away from the nest.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Poop sacks...ewww. Have you found out what the red stuff is? Would the be wetting it to make it softer for their babies to eat?

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43

May 29th, 2012, 12:58 pm #4

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Could it be dry dog food?

Gayla
Jackson, Mississippi
Canon XSi Canon 70-300mm IS
Sigma 150 - 500mm OS
Zone 7b; Heat Zone 9 (Ugh)

May 29th, 2012, 1:22 pm #5

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
I'm with Gayla on this one. Our birds do this, all the time. One female Nicaraguan grackle, not a pretty addition to a garden, walks through the house with 'hers...'

May 29th, 2012, 2:41 pm #6

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Thanks everyone!

Doubt it is dog food as I have never seen dog food like this. It is red and you can see light through it. I will leave my camera by the window and hope to get a shot of it.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

May 29th, 2012, 9:22 pm #7

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
What does it taste like? Actually a few years ago I was finding strips of Mylar all over my yard, from large strips to slivers. The birds were getting it from a car dealership down the road, what they were doing with it I have no idea, but the would pull on the Mylar flags and then rip them up and drop them in the yards around here. Could that be what it is, we had mostly red but blue, white and green also.

Titletown, USA
Plant Zone 5a
AHS 3 4
Last edited by Sundodger on May 29th, 2012, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
Green Bay, WI

Confirmation of reply: