Snakedoc

Snakedoc

June 22nd, 2005, 3:57 pm #1

Jim,

Received the second disc. WOW!

I've always been a fan of Hogan's 5 Fundamentals and with a few exceptions like set up...Mindy's swing theories seem to dove tail right into Hogan. The trail elbow toward the belly button on the downswing. I never really understood the reasoning until Richard Wax explained it needs to be there to deliver the power from the legs. I realize that video of Hogan does not have him in that position, but it does work nevertheless. It seems Hogan and Mindy were on the same page at times. Frankly, viewing Richard Wax hit balls reveals more about Hogan's Five Fundamentals than Leadbetter, Andrisani, McClean and Hardy combined!

Thanks Jim for taking the time and effort to get these fabulous discs to me.

Ron

PS Hit some balls in the backyard...best ever! I'll take it to the course and let you know.
Last edited by Hoganhacker on June 22nd, 2005, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2005, 5:39 pm #2

Ron,

Re Richard's swing: he has the most repeating swing of any amateur I have observed. Note: I haven't seen Julian or Chris swing in person. He could easily make a living teaching golf. But he has a much more enviable job--traveling around the world developing golf resorts!

If you have GtTB you already know the following. About Hogan and Trevino Blake said:

"From the point of view of the reflex technique I have described, the methods employed by Ben Hogan and Lee Trevino cannot be considered 100 per cent pure. The wrists pronate slightly so, even if only to a minor extent, there has to be a hit with the hands, but fundamentally, both of them drag the club through the ball and this is the foundation of their success."

Though he was a modest man, he definitely thought his reflex swing represented a superior technique toward which modern golf was (slowly) evolving. IMO, Hogan and Trevino didn't 'hit with the hands' to any degree but rather they coordinated the use of lower and upper body energy.

Another interesting point: Re his grip Blake said, "This is the grip which javelin-throwers use. It is also the grip employed by Ben Hogan, probably the finest striker of the ball there has ever been." Hmmm. Hogan's grip was a quite neutral grip, Mindy's was stronger. However, on one particular aspect they are on the same page, ie, both thought the trail hand thumb and index finger should not apply any pressure to the club shaft.

Have fun with the reflex swing. SD

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

June 23rd, 2005, 6:36 am #3

Jim,

Received the second disc. WOW!

I've always been a fan of Hogan's 5 Fundamentals and with a few exceptions like set up...Mindy's swing theories seem to dove tail right into Hogan. The trail elbow toward the belly button on the downswing. I never really understood the reasoning until Richard Wax explained it needs to be there to deliver the power from the legs. I realize that video of Hogan does not have him in that position, but it does work nevertheless. It seems Hogan and Mindy were on the same page at times. Frankly, viewing Richard Wax hit balls reveals more about Hogan's Five Fundamentals than Leadbetter, Andrisani, McClean and Hardy combined!

Thanks Jim for taking the time and effort to get these fabulous discs to me.

Ron

PS Hit some balls in the backyard...best ever! I'll take it to the course and let you know.
Many thanks, Ron, for you kind and encouraging words. I can't describe the pleasure I have derived over the years from working on Mindy's technique. I had the joy and privilege of learning with him and have continued since his untimely passing. Of course it tok an effort to make the change from the wristy swing of youth but not for a single moment have I regretted the decision.

The harmony of setting my fairly weedy body into the Mindy set up transforms the feeling of having to strike a ball with the weakest parts of the body into an athletic stance from which the ball can be consistently leveraged to a target both in line and length.

I can literally perform the swing all day and the results aren't going to change.

Mindy used to relate how industrialists would push their inventions on a test run to breaking point, then analyse where they failed and strengthen that part of the device. This logic guided Mindy, who was an innovative designer of machines, to refine the various elements comprising the golf swing, to eliminate those which were weak and ureliable such as the hands, wrists and forearms and depend entirely on the strong areas such as the back and legs which can deliver power throughout one's lifetime.

Confirmation of reply: