Shrimp Plant Seeds?

Shrimp Plant Seeds?

October 3rd, 2006, 3:58 pm #1

Where do you find seeds on a Shrimp Plant and what do they look like? I know mine is making seed because I have several small plants coming up under the mother plant. Have looked and can't find anything that looks like a seed. Thanks

Nancy K. Warsaw MO Zone 5

NLN

October 3rd, 2006, 4:26 pm #2

Nancy, look down into the bract. Not all the flowers will produce seed, but if you look hard enough, you can usually find a few seeds. Seeds are more often produced by the initial flowers on the inflorescence rather than the later ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibri
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

October 3rd, 2006, 9:56 pm #3

Where do you find seeds on a Shrimp Plant and what do they look like? I know mine is making seed because I have several small plants coming up under the mother plant. Have looked and can't find anything that looks like a seed. Thanks

Thanks Nancy, I found 9 seeds so far, there are little pod like things hidden in the bracks. Some of them were broken open and the seeds were already gone, found several dried up, but not open, when I broke them open there were the seeds. There are lots more pods but they are not dry yet, will keep an eye on it now and hope to get a few more. There are only 3 seeds in each pod.

Confirmation of reply: