Salvia Question

Salvia Question

April 18th, 2017, 8:32 pm #1

I want to plant Lady in Red Salvia and Coral Nymph Salvia in my front flowerbeds with nasturtiums and Allysum in front. Can I prune the salvias down so to keep them at a modest height. I know how to deadhead them but can I prune them besides.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Charlotte

April 18th, 2017, 10:30 pm #2

Charlotte,

Gee, it has been a long time since you've posted. Yes, you can cut the 2 Salvia coccinea cultivars, but do not cut them too far back and don't expect them to get more bushy.

April 18th, 2017, 11:40 pm #3

I want to plant Lady in Red Salvia and Coral Nymph Salvia in my front flowerbeds with nasturtiums and Allysum in front. Can I prune the salvias down so to keep them at a modest height. I know how to deadhead them but can I prune them besides.

Charlotte
The other issue is every time you cut them back you interrupt or delay their bloom. Both these coccinea cultivars are rather tall.

April 19th, 2017, 6:43 am #4

Charlotte
There are a few dwarfer cultivars out there. Summer Jewel if I remember correctly stays pretty dwarf. I liked the height of the ones you mentioned, but if you can find them, try Summer Jewell Red.

Confirmation of reply: