Salvia ID

May 11th, 2016, 12:43 am #1

Is it possible to identify this salvia at this stage? I guess I'll know soon enough as it has a bud already but I'm dying to know because this plant has come back strong with little dieback and lovely foliage.

-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

May 11th, 2016, 12:58 am #2

Adrienne, are you sure it is a Salvia?
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

May 11th, 2016, 6:07 am #3

Is it possible to identify this salvia at this stage? I guess I'll know soon enough as it has a bud already but I'm dying to know because this plant has come back strong with little dieback and lovely foliage.

Adrenne,

My first reaction was "this doesn't look like a salvia to me."

I'll try to think on it and let you know if I come up with something, but I don't believe that it's a salvia.

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 11th, 2016, 8:04 am #4

Does it smell like a microphylla type salvia? It just might be Ark Road Pink which I gave to you and Rich last year. The leaf shape looks right. I will look again when I am at a computer and not this little iPhone.
Southern New Jersey

May 11th, 2016, 10:58 am #5

It's definitely a salvia. It's funny how salvias are sometimes/most times? unrecognizable without their flowers.

Ward, I don't think it is Road Ark Pink. The latest planting day was the first time we exchanged plants. The previous year Ken left a salvia plant among some Nicotiana plants for us but the leaves on that salvia were different and it was planted in a another spot. I agree that it resembles something at the park though.

Thanks for taking a look.

PS I'll check the scent today or tomorrow.
-Adrienne

May 11th, 2016, 12:06 pm #6

It is definitely in the microphylla microphylla hybrid class. The flowers might help but if it is from something in the median then it is probably an unnamed seedling maybe from microphylla Neurepia, there are lots of those.
Southern New Jersey

May 11th, 2016, 1:15 pm #7

When I first saw it, I didn't think it looked like a salvia I had seen, but then I was thinking microphylla. Adrienne, please post a photo when it blooms.

You are so lucky, this would never happen in our Madison, Wisconsin garden.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 11th, 2016, 1:43 pm #8

Adrienne,

Could it be a Salvia 'San Carlos Festival'? I have several of those and they come back pretty well most years (i.e. survive the winter) and they do have slightly larger leaves like that. Their flowers are a purplish or pinkish red. I have several that look about like yours right now. One just started to bloom a little. So let us know what yours does. I have to say, the foliage on your plant seems slightly more shiny than on my 'San Carlos'... so maybe it isn't a match. In any case, I heartily recommend 'San Carlos Festival' since it grows well for me and usually survives the winter!

Here are the blooms on my 'San Carlos Festival'. As you can see, the flowers are a cool pinkish or "cherry" red, as opposed to a crimson or orangey-red.

Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

May 11th, 2016, 2:14 pm #9

It could be San Carlos Festival or any of a hundred others within the broad group but San Carlos is a very good guess.
Southern New Jersey

May 11th, 2016, 4:14 pm #10

I've never had a Salvia microphylla with such shiny/glossy leaves and the bud structure is quite different from those of 'San Carlos Festival', which is one of my favorites. I'll be interested to see what develops.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

May 11th, 2016, 4:21 pm #11

Good point, but the plant may have some greggii in it.
Southern New Jersey

May 11th, 2016, 4:23 pm #12

There are so many hybrid's these days! Maybe it will be a new cultivar called "Andrienne's Festival"?
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

May 11th, 2016, 10:22 pm #13

Sorry for not making this clear: It is not a seedling. I simply lost track of plant tags. It smells slightly of lemon and mint to me at the moment.

Could this be plain ole Salvia microphylla Hot Lips? I had some planted in that area. However, if I'm not mistaken, Hot lips smelled like cat urine to me in the past.

Could the conditions have such an effect on salvia foliage? This one is planted on a sharply draining slope amended with compost and coco coir which I watered frequently. Also I had created a mound of earth around it hoping to insulate it from cold.

The only other salvia which survived the winter and growing vigorously now is Plum Wine. Unlike the salvia pictured above, Plum Wine is more flexible and sprawling.
-Adrienne

May 11th, 2016, 11:36 pm #14

Adrienne asked:
<table align="center" width="60%"><tr><td style="font-size:medium;">Quote:
Could this be plain ole Salvia microphylla Hot Lips?
</td></tr></table>
Nan: How can you say 'plain ole Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips''??? Ain't nothin' plain nor old 'bout 'Hot Lips'. It wasn't so long ago that we were seeing images of it and were not able to find it anywhere. I do not recall exactly when it was released commercially, but it was within the 10 1/2 year span of this group. And, no, my 'Hot Lips' plants do not have shiny leaves like your plant, so that isn't it.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

May 11th, 2016, 11:59 pm #15

Nancy, I certainly meant no disrespect to Hot Lips. It's a fun plant. That's why I planted it.

I perused my garden photos trying to find out if I photographed this area in the past. This is the clearest photo of it. It's still hard to see which salvia it is.
https://examiningroots.files.wordpress. ... g_0035.jpg

There are quite a few buds actually.

-Adrienne

Confirmation of reply: