Salvia heatwave blaze

Salvia heatwave blaze

May 15th, 2017, 4:44 pm #1

I was disappointed that the microphylla heatwave blaze nor Agastache tutti frutti returned for me this year. I had blaze for a couple of years and only tutti frutti for one year. Considering what a mild winter we had it is double disappointing that they did not return.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 15th, 2017, 6:09 pm #2

Why one thing lives while another dies is one of the great mysteries of life. That being said, don't be too quick to pull up your plants. My Bog Sage, whose death I questioned in another thread, finally came to life a month after everything else. It ain't over till it's over. Brett

May 15th, 2017, 7:39 pm #3

I was disappointed that the microphylla heatwave blaze nor Agastache tutti frutti returned for me this year. I had blaze for a couple of years and only tutti frutti for one year. Considering what a mild winter we had it is double disappointing that they did not return.
Steve,

So sorry about the plants you lost. These tender salvias would never overwinter in our zone 5a garden, but we lost many established perennials this year despite the milder winter. The only thing I can think of is that it was also a very dry winter with little snow cover (at least here in Wisconsin.) This factor always seems to affect winter plant survival. I think you should wait a few more weeks and then replace any plants that are dead.

May 16th, 2017, 2:37 am #4

Hate when that happens. I thought all my Windwalker were dead for a second year in a row. Went out yesterday and two of the three are alive and well. Yahoo! I was beginning to really question their hardiness.

May 16th, 2017, 10:05 pm #5

The "Heatwaves" never survive in ground for me. Also, I had bought way too many (& also B&B) last spring & ended up with almost a flat that never made it in ground or in pots. I overwintered them inside my unheated garage & they all died even with that bit of protection & a mild winter. I am hoping to see the "Artics" or something else available around here soon. I think the "Mesas" were slightly more compact & looked a little bit better late in the season. I do like both, especially early to mid-season, but there are more compact & floriforous varieties but not that I can find locally.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

May 17th, 2017, 2:28 pm #6

These comments are all the more reason that new releases of Salvias, especially the greggii/microphylla group, need to be thoroughly trialed west of the Mississippi in both the North and the South.

Confirmation of reply: