Salvia Guaranitica Blue Ensign! Photo intense

July 15th, 2014, 5:07 pm #1

There are some folks who have asked to see these two monsters once they are in bloom and they are there. Even the past winter could not knock them out but they were slow coming back. They were the only plants to survive in this garden. At present they measure 6' tall and its not a stretch to say they are also 6' wide each.

Once again a special thanks to Richard for putting me on to these plants many years ago.

Notice the combatants in these two shots

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 15th, 2014, 6:40 pm #2

Hi Steve,

Wow, what really beautiful photos and we are green (or should I say blue!) with envy. Of course, this plant is not hardy in our zone, so we have to start from scratch every spring and it would never be this large unless our growing season maybe extended to December!! Love the effect of the feeders up above and the agastache down below and really exciting to get actual hummingbirds in the photos too. It is really a stunning display---I'm sure all of your neighbors wonder what that huge and unusual plant is. We have a new Salvia guarantica 'Blue Ensign' this season and currently it is only about two feet tall and is hardly blooming yet. Congratulations Steve on a job well done and enjoy your hummers and garden this season.

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 15th, 2014, 7:36 pm #3

There are some folks who have asked to see these two monsters once they are in bloom and they are there. Even the past winter could not knock them out but they were slow coming back. They were the only plants to survive in this garden. At present they measure 6' tall and its not a stretch to say they are also 6' wide each.

Once again a special thanks to Richard for putting me on to these plants many years ago.

Kathi

Have you guys tried to cover the guaranitica as some of us done successfully? If these plants are able to get a good root system going they might make it without protection. Such was the case for my large BE. -20 here and no protection yet they made it.

It didnt show up in the group above but I also have a cutting which came from one of the large plants last fall when a frost was on and I captured 4 cuttings from the bottom of the plant that escaped the frost and only one made it, here it is in bloom.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 15th, 2014, 7:50 pm #4

Excellent, Steve. I knew your plants were big, but I had no idea they were 6 feet tall. My #1 blue ensign is a basement-overwintered 3rd year plant and it continues to look great. It is blooming well, but is only a few feet tall so it's nothing like yours. My argentina skies next to it is a foot taller and is just beginning to bloom. My second over-wintered blue ensign got put in the ground later than the first one and is just starting to develop bloom spikes. My cutting-grown blue ensign is of course not as dense, but it has grown a few feet tall and is blooming.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

July 15th, 2014, 8:21 pm #5

Steve,
Your Blue Ensign looks absolutely FANTABULOUS! Mine is only between 3 and 4 ft. tall right now but it is blooming well though probably not nearly as well as yours. I would love if mine survived the winter here. Time will tell.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 15th, 2014, 8:41 pm #6

The hummers have not missed the fact that these big guys are in full bloom.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 15th, 2014, 8:49 pm #7

Dan and Penny

Thanks much- Maybe two or three weeks ago my BE werent blooming very well at all so I spread a good bit of bone meal into the soil around those plants , worked in well and then watered them well. Im not sure how much that helped but bone meal is mainly phosphorous, but Ive read it does take a while to get that stuff to work.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 15th, 2014, 10:57 pm #8

Absolutely gorgeous photos of your Ensign and hummers reaping the rewards of it!

August 2nd, 2014, 9:16 pm #9

Blue ensign offspring from above. Over wintered from frosted but not dead Parent. Im really quite proud of this from cutting.

Here you can see where its really starting to take shape and show itself and in the background are its parents.

Now concerning Penstemon red riding hood . In this bed I started with 4 one in each corner. But I found that even water spray from my mister was not appreciated so I had to do some modification on this bed. This bed is mostly sand but I decided to remove the front corner Penstemon in favor of salvia oxyphora which does like wet but I also added a bit more compost to their liking. All seem pretty happy two of the three Penstemon left are still blooming in this all pink bed.

As you can see this one Penstemon is doing the best of the three and has not stopped blooming all summer. The hummers started using them from the day I planted them. This plant is 24x24 and supposedly hardy to zone 5 and -20. I highly recommend red riding hood for the midwest.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

August 3rd, 2014, 12:51 am #10

I'm still very curious about the identity and provenance of these two guaranitica forms. One seems to be found only in North America, the other in Europe. I'm not satisfied that they are not the same plant, and hope there can be a side-by-side comparison both here and in Europe. Rolando, maybe you can do it. And, of course, a DNA study of all the guaranitica forms would be nice, but ...

August 5th, 2014, 1:00 am #11

Those are some beautiful healthy plants. I ordered Blue Ensign from FBTS because I've heard it mentioned a lot. My plant is
still small but blooming.

August 5th, 2014, 2:58 pm #12

Linda

I dont know where you are located but you should be happy with this plant. But this is not a pot plant not if you want it to get its full potential. My plant in the photo above was taken as a cutting last fall, over wintered and is now already 3' wide and 4' tall if you count the flower stems. Good luck and enjoy.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

August 5th, 2014, 4:26 pm #13

Kate brought a nicely grown guaranitica from seed she received from Robin. Also out in the garden that managed to survive the winter is a 4 foot high shoot of a seedling of MDQ from Rolando's seed. They will be worked with next year at the park.
Southern New Jersey

August 10th, 2014, 3:36 pm #14

Just an update to show my blue ensign are now loaded to the gills and just in time too.

Air Battle

On guard

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

August 10th, 2014, 4:34 pm #15

Wow, your blue ensign puts mine to shame. Ironically, my third-year plant that appeared to overwinter better than ever(inside a bag in the basement) and was denser than ever early in the season, now won't bloom worth a darn. Bloom spikes are either short and crappy or the spike buds abort before they ever get started. I don't know what the problem is.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Confirmation of reply: