Salvia Darcyi

Salvia Darcyi

July 4th, 2012, 3:55 pm #1

Today being July 4th my salvia darcyi exclaimed its independence by opening its first blooms today, hooray! I do seem to have trouble getting this plant to over winter here but I like it so I keep trying.

July 4th, 2012, 4:32 pm #2

Mine has been in bloom for a while, although not as much of it came back this year. I think this is the third year I've had it.

Carol R
East Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7a
Heat Zone 7

<span style="width:320px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

July 4th, 2012, 4:47 pm #3

Today being July 4th my salvia darcyi exclaimed its independence by opening its first blooms today, hooray! I do seem to have trouble getting this plant to over winter here but I like it so I keep trying.
Carol

One year I had a humongous darcyi it had a 6ft wingspan in all directions but as I stated did not survive. The hummers loved it too as you might imagine.

July 5th, 2012, 1:01 am #4

Six foot span salvia! Oh my! That must have been a sight! Even my porterweed never got quite that big! Sounds amazing! No photos of the blooms yet? I wanna see what the Darcyi blooms look like! Some of us ... like me ... are new to salvia plants!

July 5th, 2012, 4:51 am #5

Becky

I was wondering if anyone would ask about a photo. But most on here know what those blooms look like. Since you ask I will show what the bloom looks like plus the monster I had before.

just as a baby here

spreading its wings a bit here

then finally completely out of hand

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

July 5th, 2012, 11:04 am #6

Wow I bet the hummers do love that. Reminds me of porterweed, the way that it spreads.

July 5th, 2012, 1:01 pm #7

It has been years since I failed with this plant. I have needed to see some photos in order to understand how darcyi translates into Silke's Dream, Scarlet Spires and all the subsequent seedlings. Now that I see the photos I realize the darcyi is a lot more involved in the look and growth habits of the hybrids than I thought. Sometimes it shows in the flower shape, sometimes in the quality of the leaves, sometimes in the length of the flower stalks, and sometimes in a habit of growing lushly outward from the base. Clearly darcyi can be more dominant than I thought it was.

July 5th, 2012, 1:27 pm #8

Wow Steve, how beautiful!

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

<span style="width:170px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

July 5th, 2012, 4:54 pm #9

Thanks everyone for your comments. Not that this makes or made the difference but I didnt do much other than give it well draining soil. Except for one thing , making a dump out of it. Any cuttings or plants in pots that didnt make it their soils got dumped there and in the end it became one mounding potting soil dump. Like I said did that make a difference I doubt it but maybe, just saying.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

July 5th, 2012, 10:51 pm #10

I only have about 3 open blooms on my s. darcyi at this time but It doesnt matter as I was rewarded today watching a hummer burrow deep into those blooms.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Confirmation of reply: