Salvia 'Blue Ensign' seed?

Salvia 'Blue Ensign' seed?

August 3rd, 2017, 11:01 pm #1

I've been growing salvia 'blue ensign' for many years. As far as I knew, this plant produces no seed. I've never seen any seed in the calyxes and I've never seen any volunteers... until now, that is. This spring I noticed an apparent blue ensign shoot growing about 18 inches away from the main plant, which was overwintered in the ground for the first time this past winter. I just assumed it was growing from a long runner. It continued to grow with the rest of the plant and I haven't paid much attention to it. This morning, however, while looking out my bedroom window, which is right next to the plant, I noticed an odd black bloom spike among the typical green blue ensign spikes. It pretty quickly hit me that that one shoot is not growing from a runner, but from a seed that dropped from a previous year's plant. I'm guessing the flower color will be the same deep blue as blue ensign, but I won't know for another few days. Has anyone else found blue ensign volunteers, or even any seed? Steve?
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

August 4th, 2017, 12:21 am #2

You must be anxious to see what you have. I would be. As to your question most guaranitica set seed, at least the types I've tried. But I have never had a garden volunteer.
Southern New Jersey

August 4th, 2017, 2:02 am #3

I've been growing salvia 'blue ensign' for many years. As far as I knew, this plant produces no seed. I've never seen any seed in the calyxes and I've never seen any volunteers... until now, that is. This spring I noticed an apparent blue ensign shoot growing about 18 inches away from the main plant, which was overwintered in the ground for the first time this past winter. I just assumed it was growing from a long runner. It continued to grow with the rest of the plant and I haven't paid much attention to it. This morning, however, while looking out my bedroom window, which is right next to the plant, I noticed an odd black bloom spike among the typical green blue ensign spikes. It pretty quickly hit me that that one shoot is not growing from a runner, but from a seed that dropped from a previous year's plant. I'm guessing the flower color will be the same deep blue as blue ensign, but I won't know for another few days. Has anyone else found blue ensign volunteers, or even any seed? Steve?
Nope, the only thing Ive seen is a sprout a distance away by way of runner.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

August 4th, 2017, 4:23 pm #4

This may be a seed from a different variety of guaranitica. It also might be a hybrid, since seeds of straight guaranitica are hard to germinate. I see very few seeds set in my guaraniticas, even by hand pollination.

August 4th, 2017, 5:35 pm #5

It certainly has the blue ensign form. It is a slender 4 ft tall and is branching out at the top like blue ensign. That said, this seedling has grown in a rather confined, limited-sun space, with the big blue ensign plant up against it on one side and a big hydrangea plant covering its lower half on the other side. I recently cut back the hydrangea, so it gets a bit more sun now. It'll still be a couple more days before I see the bloom color.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

August 5th, 2017, 8:31 pm #6

I was just searching this forum and discovered a 'blue ensign' thread from late last year in which Cathy P talks about blue ensign volunteering in her garden.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

August 8th, 2017, 3:18 pm #7

I only had 'Blue Ensign' 1 year & it was 3 or 4 ago. I have never found a guaranitica seedling so if that is what it is, you must be pretty lucky. Will be interesting to see so keep us posted.

As for greggii/microphylla types, I find seedlings often. Many left in place don't survive but when I get that rare one that does, seems that plant will survive quite a few years before dying out. I will have to get a picture but found a seedling about 3 weeks ago near where I had a raised pot of 'Royal Bumble' last year. It's right at the front walk & although it looks stupid there in the mulch, I left it & it grew fast. It just started flowering & it appears true to the parent plant. I'm not versed well at what seed comes true & what doesn't but I have never had a Salvia with the true blood red color of 'Royal Bumble' & this seedling has it. Will get pix.

In this same mulch strip near my walk, 1 lone 'Summer Red Jewel' seedling also emerged around the same time & is flowering it's head off. Again, looks strange as the only 2 plants in the mulch. Used to line the walk with Red Impatiens but haven't planted them after that fungal disease started. I miss them. Replacement varieties haven't matched up to flower power or size.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

August 10th, 2017, 5:24 pm #8

My blue ensign volunteer is producing blooms identical to the parent, so the only obvious differences are the black calyxes and darker stem. You might call it 'black & blue ensign'.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

August 19th, 2017, 5:01 pm #9

I have tons of volunteers in my yard and I know they are not
runners. Some of mine take after the BB plant and others
must be taking after the parent plant of BB or BE.
I did happily get 2 more BE this year and didn't know
till after I transplanted them and they bloomed.
My BE have a round rugged leaf my BB have a more oval smoother
leaf but I am getting volunteers with the BE leaf but the BB flower.
I have a lot of volunteers in the yard and 2 even made
it over the winter with no protection.
I am watching 4 more to see if they flower BE and I may protect
them to over winter them outside them move them next spring
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

August 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm #10

Cathy, have you ever seen any different bloom color, like lavender/light blue, etc.?
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

June 12th, 2018, 3:52 pm #11

Last year I started this thread because I had one blue ensign seedling, something new for me.  Well, it's even more interesting this year.  Underneath where last year's volunteer grew there are fifteen new volunteers growing.  Last year's volunteer did come back, but I didn't want it so I dug it out.  I'd like to let the new volunteers grow at least until I can see their blooms.  Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be something a little different.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

June 14th, 2018, 3:45 am #12

I cant say for sure, but I have seen on occasion a sprout that seemed to be  not associated with the mother plant being several feet away but I still dont think they are volunteers, but who knows.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6