Rufous hummer feeding on Agastache Tutti Frutti

Rufous hummer feeding on Agastache Tutti Frutti

July 9th, 2017, 10:42 pm #1

Hi Friends and Humfans!

Currently I have two species of hummers, Anna’s and Rufous. All the Rufous are juvies. There are several of each species, probably about 10 hums altogether. A few moments ago I was sitting on the front porch watching three Rufous fight over the Agastache Tutti Frutti. Here is a video of the one who won out. It worked on the Agastache most of the time. At times it would taste one of the Salvias, but it would then go back to the Tutti Frutti. Butterflies and bees like the Tutti Frutti too. It is the top plant in my small pollinator garden.

Photo/video here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/canyoneagle/m42da7

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

July 9th, 2017, 11:07 pm #2

Lori,
Nice video, that looks like a happy hummer. I have Agastache envy looking at your Tutti Frutti patch. How long have those plants been in place? Brett

July 9th, 2017, 11:24 pm #3

Hi Friends and Humfans!

Currently I have two species of hummers, Anna’s and Rufous. All the Rufous are juvies. There are several of each species, probably about 10 hums altogether. A few moments ago I was sitting on the front porch watching three Rufous fight over the Agastache Tutti Frutti. Here is a video of the one who won out. It worked on the Agastache most of the time. At times it would taste one of the Salvias, but it would then go back to the Tutti Frutti. Butterflies and bees like the Tutti Frutti too. It is the top plant in my small pollinator garden.

Photo/video here:

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

What a beautiful stand of Hummer flowers! Your Rufous is in his heaven! Mine are still trickling in, no residents yet, just two or more coming in a day to the feeders. Hopefully, soon.

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5
Fran
Lakeview OR
Zone 4/5

July 11th, 2017, 3:19 pm #4

Hi Friends and Humfans!

Photo/video here:

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

Hi Brett!

I set up that bed last fall. I moved the Tutti Frutti from a different spot, where it had grown for one season. Tutti Frutti grows crazy big very quickly here, for some reason. The other Agastaches I have don't do as well, not sure why.

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

July 11th, 2017, 5:49 pm #5

Hi Friends and Humfans!

Photo/video here:

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

Wow your agastache looks great. Ours is barely flowering yet. I really like your wood beds too.

July 12th, 2017, 7:59 pm #6

Hi Friends and Humfans!

Photo/video here:

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

Very nice! I haven't had 'Tutti Frutti' in a while. That one doesn't come back like many of my others. 'Ava' was my favorite (& largest, both plant & flowers) & haven't had that one in a while either. I miss it. Used to find it at a semi-local nursery but they haven't had it for a few years now. Might have to revisit High Country Gardens next year.

I'm seeing a lot of use on my rupestris that just started flowering about a week ago. Male picked that over several Salvias in pots right next to the patch. Worked it heavy.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b