Repeater- Nester?

May 15th, 2016, 5:53 pm #1

Ive just been noticing a female hitting my rear feeder every 15-20min so my guess is her nest is relatively close to this area. I better change the liquid in that feeder as I have been lazy of recent.

Man she is just like clockwork now, just as I was setting the changed feeder back out here she appeared again. I was thinking I could get it back out before she repeated.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 15th, 2016, 11:21 pm #2

Brrrrr it's so chilly my way I can't understand how any
mommy bird can keep them eggs toasty leaving even for a
minute
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

May 15th, 2016, 11:52 pm #3

Ive just been noticing a female hitting my rear feeder every 15-20min so my guess is her nest is relatively close to this area. I better change the liquid in that feeder as I have been lazy of recent.

Man she is just like clockwork now, just as I was setting the changed feeder back out here she appeared again. I was thinking I could get it back out before she repeated.
I don't know about nesting yet Steve? We've has the opportunity to follow multiple nests in the past few years and the females have never strayed very far from the nest. These nests as is often the case were close to and one case over the water. Mostly the females spent their time catching insects within a hundred feet or less from the nest returning often. Your weather is also rather cold lately which is a recipe for nest failure. Your bird or birds might be waiting for the weather to break. Even here it seems likely the birds will have to try again.

Ground nesting birds Turkeys in particular May be having nest failure too, cold wet ground.
Southern New Jersey

May 16th, 2016, 12:13 am #4

I know, most likely just hopeful thinking on my part, but it was kinda fun.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

Confirmation of reply: