Red Fountain

Red Fountain

May 16th, 2016, 11:08 pm #1

I decided to fire it up today since the freeze nights should be a thing of the past. There was a lot of green algae to clean off the pump filter and hoses, quite a job. But it still works after 3 years , lights up after dark, still have never seen a hummer use it. Other small birds though do use it.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 17th, 2016, 5:51 am #2

Steve,

I've seen so many videos on Facebook and YouTube of hummingbirds using this red fountain, but maybe hummingbirds in the west are more excited about it. I did find this video though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjgTv3GZT4

It is a great find for someone who doesn't have the time, energy, or resources to install and maintain an actual pond for birds.

With all of your hummingbirds, I'm surprised that the immature birds wouldn't check it out. Maybe this season??
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 17th, 2016, 12:33 pm #3

I decided to fire it up today since the freeze nights should be a thing of the past. There was a lot of green algae to clean off the pump filter and hoses, quite a job. But it still works after 3 years , lights up after dark, still have never seen a hummer use it. Other small birds though do use it.

Kathi

Yes I seen several vids of hummers using this fountain, one which had two hummers on it at the same time. Most of those vids though are from the west coast area. Is it because its hotter longer out there, maybe.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 17th, 2016, 8:42 pm #4

Over the past 30 yrs. in FL I have used fountains, misters and of course bird baths. Here I see most of my hummers in the winter months and have them available since our winter months tend to be our dry months.
I love watching videos of hummers using the fountains but unfortunately I have never seen a hummer use one here. The misters I have in place sure look inviting but again no hummer has made a fly by or hovered over them. I have them in place and in operation when I have hummers but have never had a hummer use them. It may well be exclusively a western hummingbird related behavior but I don't think so. Probably has more to do with the frequency of rainfall which occurs more often in the east then many areas in the west.

Only one exception to previous observations was an Allen's that hovered many a time over a bird bath, touching his belly on the surface and splashing plenty of water, wetting his feathers, several times during the afternoon. The only hummer I have observed bathing and it was a "western hummer"!

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

June 13th, 2016, 4:43 pm #5

Even as hot as it has been in the midwest recently I have not observed a hummer using this fountain. That doesnt necessarily that they havent but not likely. On the other hand many other birds species have stopped for a drink including the following. I have more fun views of this bird over on feathered friends for those interested.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 14th, 2016, 2:22 am #6

Steve,
I have this fountain (just purchased this year). I have not seen hummingbirds using it for I only seem to have one hummingbird in my yard. I have seen robins sitting right on top of the bubbler area enjoying it for periods of time and see a squirrel hopping up to take drinks too. I do have a larger birdbath in my yard, but the smaller birds seem to like that and the robins and squirrel like this bubbler type. Let us know if you ever see a hummingbird using it for I know you have gardens full of hummingbirds. Enjoyed your photos.

Marilyn

June 14th, 2016, 5:31 am #7

Steve,

It must be very disappointing to not see any hummingbirds at your red fountain and you have so many more hummingbirds visiting than many of us. Great that other birds are enjoying it though.

I thought people might enjoy these two YouTube videos of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds using the Red Fountain (initially, I thought that only Western species might use it, but maybe not):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjgTv3GZT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFpzkqcAvY

We have a small shallow backyard pond with a recirculating waterfall and a mister/dripper device and sometimes have seen hummingbirds fly through the mist or leaf bath on the nearby hosta leaves---that is a real treat. The sound of the water is also very relaxing to listen to. We have not seen any hummingbirds using the pond yet this season, but activity has been slow the past few days.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

June 14th, 2016, 1:11 pm #8

Marilyn and Kathi

I actually thought I might see one use it during this current heat wave but so far it hasnt happened. And if not during these hot days , most likely never.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 14th, 2016, 8:25 pm #9

Steve,

Think positive!! While you are, you can still enjoy all the other critters in your gardens that are using it. I do admit not to enjoying the squirrel too much though (flower pots are dug through often). But the fountain at night is kind of pretty with that flickering light (and I did not even purchase it for that). I noticed on the video link Kathi sent that the fountain is sitting higher. I did that with mine too, raised it up a bit so I can see it well from my kitchen window and if/WHEN I see a hummingbird use it, I will let you know.

Marilyn

June 14th, 2016, 8:53 pm #10

Marilyn

Yes I do appreciate all the critters that do use my fountain. I also made a video of mine before which shows the flickering light which looks more like a flame. Its amazing what people do to try and get hummers to the fountain as I did last year. Also I bought this clay vase last year to get my fountain up higher but accidently broke the vase this spring. Anyway if you havent seen this shot of mine with this crazy hookup here it is, good for a laugh I suppose.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 15th, 2016, 4:28 pm #11

Nice pic...I picked up a fountain at Kmart for 50$, looks like they were trying to move them. The same one was 58$ 2 weeks prior. The female that's been hanging around looked at for a bit but never took a dip. Probably not hot enough.lol
Northlake, IL

June 15th, 2016, 11:30 pm #12

Although my fountain is not red, the hummers seem to like it anyway. This was from a couple of years ago on a very cool, breezy September morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMIgmX ... e=youtu.be

June 16th, 2016, 1:31 am #13

Thank you for posting your link to the hummingbird using the fountain. Look Steve, there is hope for those of us who put the fountains out in hope the hummers take notice and use it!!!!!! By the way, like your invention of adding two feeders to it. Looks like (from your photo), the hummingbird was using the feeder. Soon, the fountain!!

Marilyn

June 16th, 2016, 2:02 am #14

Great vid.
Northlake, IL

June 16th, 2016, 1:13 pm #15

Nice video Shelia. What is your location?

Madison, WI
Zone 5a