Red Fountain

June 16th, 2016, 1:59 pm #16

I decided to fire it up today since the freeze nights should be a thing of the past. There was a lot of green algae to clean off the pump filter and hoses, quite a job. But it still works after 3 years , lights up after dark, still have never seen a hummer use it. Other small birds though do use it.

Very nice vid.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 16th, 2016, 2:27 pm #17

I decided to fire it up today since the freeze nights should be a thing of the past. There was a lot of green algae to clean off the pump filter and hoses, quite a job. But it still works after 3 years , lights up after dark, still have never seen a hummer use it. Other small birds though do use it.

Shelia,

I have watched your video again and again. I wonder, can you share a bit more info with those of us who are still waiting to see the fountain action in our yards? Appears as if your fountain is much larger and stands higher is this so, can you tell me size? Location, appears as if you have in located in among plants, is this correct and is it located in an area all surrounded by lots of tall plants or out in a more open area? Last, looks like you have the bubbler set very low so there is hardly any movement of water or any sound made of the water (although I know it may not be heard by a human but still possibly by a bird), but can you hear sound of water an give a guess as to how high you have pump set? Husband said he thought he saw two hummers in the video, I think it was just a shadow of the first one. But, was it during a time with lots of hummingbird traffic (during migration perhaps) as you mentioned it was made in September, midwest region? I know I have LOTS of questions but maybe answers will help some of us have success if we make a few changes in our yards.

Marilyn

June 16th, 2016, 6:15 pm #18

You've all convinced me! I just ordered this from Kmart, and I can't wait to set it up. With our cool weather, I don't know how much use it will get, but I have to try.

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5
Fran
Lakeview OR
Zone 4/5

June 17th, 2016, 5:09 pm #19

I am in southwestern Alberta, Canada, very close to the Montana border. The fountain stands about 27 inches high(bought at Home Depot) This was taken at the tail end of our hummingbird season - don`t see any after about Sept. 7 or so. The pump is very small and that is the normal height for the water. It does make a bubbling sound but not very loud, you can`t hear it from across the yard just in the immediate vicinity. This is in a narrow garden alongside the garage planted with morning glories on the trellis, some May Night sage, Raspberry Wine Monarda, columbine and marigolds. A few seconds after this video a second hummingbird zoomed in and chased off the original bather. I have about a 5 second video of that. I was really surprised that any bird would want to be bathing on that particular morning as it was just above freezing and pretty breezy as well. I guess they really are tough little cookies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xOpI2rX98

June 27th, 2016, 6:45 am #20

I feel bad for responding to this message, because of all of you who are waiting for a hummingbird to visit your fountain, but I really think you are all on to something important and are right that visits correspond to species.

I have resident Anna's and migrating Rufous from Feb through Sept.

I have had a red fountain on a covered deck for the third summer now and a blue fountain on an open deck for the second summer on the other side of the house. Color does not seem to matter nor does the open or covered deck.

Both fountains get daily visits from hummingbirds and both species seem to visit equally. I would say that more visits are from females/immatures than males, but that might just be that there are just more of them around.

The blue fountain is visited by a male Rufous daily as he has claimed that deck and feeder for himself and guards it. I only have a few male Rufous left here now as they are all usually gone by July 4.

Temperatures don't seem to be an issue as last week we had highs only in the 50's and it was down right cold at night. I'm talking windows closed and winter pj's and blankets. Hello, where is summer?

Every night last week, a female/immature Rufous would bath in the red fountain just before dark! I couldn't believe that the bird wanted to get so wet when it was so cold outside and getting dark! It wasn't afraid of me at all and would visit even if I was less then 2 feet away from the fountain. My resident hummers don't seem to be afraid of me at all. They are just used to me being outside.

This is by no means a good picture, but I caught it as I was walking up the deck steps with camera in hand after taking the bottlebrush tree pictures.

Female/Immature Rufous at blue fountain.

June 27th, 2016, 7:44 am #21

Amy,

What a great photo!! You are so lucky to have different species of hummingbirds over such a long season!!

We have a small, shallow garden pond that does get visited by hummingbirds later in the season. It could be that Ruby-throats are a little more resistant to visiting an artificial fountain like this---I've seen so many videos of Western hummingbirds using them. It is a frustrating problem for those members in the east and Midwest that rely on these fountains as their water source for hummingbirds.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

June 27th, 2016, 6:59 pm #22

Amy,

Thank you for sharing all of the information!!! Even if I do not get the same kind of hummingbirds in my yard (lucky you to have different kinds visit), I am still happy to hear about the happenings in your yard and the use of the fountains. Wonder why the other types like the fountain so much and yet not much use from the RT's??? Those of us who wait for a visit have hope when we hear from people like you. Thank you.

Marilyn

June 28th, 2016, 3:56 pm #23

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a couple of years now and have learned a lot from all of you. I decided to join so I could spread some hope to others who haven't seen a hummer use their fountain yet. I purchased a red fountain from Kmart last spring and also bought one for my parents. We have all seen the ruby throats use them. I admit that I've only witnessed it a handful of times, and believe me, I freeze in place when it does! Each time it was very early in the morning, still a little dark out, before the sun had completely risen. They cling to the ridges just like I've seen in the videos people have posted.
I live on the north side of Indianapolis (hello Indy Steve!). Sadly, this is a very slow year for our yard. I seem to only have 2 RTs around, a male and a female. Most years we have 3 times that many. Our neighborhood has lost LOTS of ash trees in the last couple of years and I've read here that could be a reason for the decline.
Don't give up hope and remember to look right before dawn.

June 28th, 2016, 9:29 pm #24

Hi Monique

Nice to hear some in my area have actually witnessed it, perhaps I need to get up earlier to see it. Sorry to say at present my fountain pump has failed after 3 years and am currently in the process of replaceing it, guess I let the water run too low.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 28th, 2016, 10:49 pm #25

Monique,

You have made my day!! Thank you for telling us of your red fountain use. I am setting my alarm and plan to spend early morning times in my yard. Even if I do not see any use this year, my "hope springs eternal" I will just watch next year. Thank you for telling us (who still wait for a visit to our fountain), that it can happen because it happens in your yard.

Marilyn

June 29th, 2016, 4:54 am #26

Thanks for the kind words on the photo. It isn't the best, but I was just lucky to have had the camera in my hands at the time. I must be the only person left in the world who doesn't have a camera phone! I might need to look into that solely for the camera.

I am so very lucky to have so many hummmingbirds year round here. I have been hummingbird obsessed since I saw my first one in the mid-90's. I only attracted a few and was happy. We moved to this house in Winter of 2006 and didn't see any until the next spring when we had a few. The neighbor's were interested, I'm pretty sure they thought I was nuts, and said that we didn't have any around. Slowly, the population grew and the neighbors became more interested and more houses than not in the neighborhood have feeders out now.

Most of them don't feed through the winter like I do. The belief that they need to leave and feeding them makes them stay. Our Anna's are year round residents and don't leave.

Last year, the population exploded! I'm filling 6 16 oz feeders daily and it has become somewhat of a chore! The old saying of being careful what you wish for.....I do love them so, though. I always have food cooling on the kitchen counter and a kitten with a wicked sweet tooth who is always trying to drink it. I try to hide it from him!

I really find this interesting. Do we have so many more birds because of us feeding them or is there something else driving the population increase?

I also find it very interesting find that Western species use the fountains more and wonder what is the basis for this? I envy the shallow pond that you have Kathi and I am glad the hummingbirds visit it.

Sorry Steve that your pump gave out. I have heard that you can buy a replacement pump from the fountain company, but I suspect that you might get a better deal somewhere else on a compatible one.

Has anyone made the fountain out of the oil drip pan and the pump that I saw on here I few months ago? I would like to try it and just wondered if anybody had an feedback on it.