raise fruit flies

raise fruit flies

June 13th, 2011, 1:40 am #1

Has anyone ever raise fruit flies or setting out a fruit dish for the hummingbirds.The people who see thier hummingbirds in the morning and evening everyday should try this out when they are most active.

eldon voorhees peoria,ill area

June 13th, 2011, 2:25 am #2

Eldon, Usually there are enough tiny insects occuring naturally for the hummingbirds along with nectar from plants and feeders that there isn't any reason to 'grow' our own fruit flies.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 13th, 2011, 3:29 pm #3

Has anyone ever raise fruit flies or setting out a fruit dish for the hummingbirds.The people who see thier hummingbirds in the morning and evening everyday should try this out when they are most active.

I had that idea too. Didnt work very well.

Mike
Austin Texas
Heat Zone- Hot
Austin - TX

June 13th, 2011, 4:10 pm #4

A plate of rotting fruit is something butterfly gardeners like to put out and it works - so does moose pee for that matter but the fruit tray is easier to do - unless you happen to be a hard drinking moose yourself. I remember a discussion I had years ago with the hummingbird bander Mary Gustafson. She noticed that many sites with visiting Rufous in the east had active compost piles. In any case it is something to think about the next time a western hummingbird shows up in the fall.

June 13th, 2011, 4:34 pm #5

Now that you mention it Ward, I do recall seeing the plate of fruit at the Butterfly garden in Florida several years ago. I draw enough fruit flies and other bugs around here so I personally don't care to raise my own.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 13th, 2011, 4:55 pm #6

I may try it again this year. Need to find my custom FF incubator.
Austin - TX

June 13th, 2011, 11:17 pm #7

You mention about trying friut flies again this year.well,what are your results and do you see the hummingbirds every evening and morning.Do they know the friut flies are hanging around the spoiled fruits.And also the muskeetoes are worse or that is not true.How are you doing this project.

June 14th, 2011, 1:33 am #8

I took a bean can, painted it red, and drilled several 1/2 inch holes in it. Then I put a couple of banana peels in there and hung it up outside. For some reason, I didnt see any flies in there. maybe I'll put a half a banana in it.

Hummers were out there every day.

Mike
Austin Texas
Heat Zone- Hot
Last edited by Mike on June 14th, 2011, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin - TX

April 14th, 2012, 2:46 pm #9

What was the result of your experiment?

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA

Regards,
Bob

NLN

April 14th, 2012, 3:08 pm #10

Mike,

Your climate may be too dry to have good luck with raising fruit flies. In any case, a single banana peel will not be sufficient to feed the little maggots. Also, the fruit fly culture needs almost constant attention. It must be warm, not too wet but not too dry, and more spoiled fruit must be added regularly. It won't work well unless it looks and smells nasty. DO NOT KEEP THE CULTURE IN YOUR HOME!

There is almost never a time when we do not have tiny flying bugs of one stripe or another in southern Louisiana. Nevertheless, whenever a piece of fruit goes bad, I drop it in a mesh basket I fashioned out of hardware cloth about 40 years ago. At some point, I added some red ribbon. At best the little flies are consumed by hummers only once in a very long while. Carolina Wrens also like to pick at the basket, probably consuming the maggots. I do not consider the fruit flies a hummer attractant, but rather a very minor accoutrement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/

Confirmation of reply: