Rain, glorious rain!

December 1st, 2016, 12:01 pm #1

It's been raining steadily for 2 hours now. A slow, steady rain. I hope everyone else here in north Florida gets some as well.
Rhonda
Never stop enjoying life,
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 1st, 2016, 3:42 pm #2

Same here in Santa Rosa Beach. It's been a Looooooonnnng time since we had rain. Unfortunately tornadoes and waterspouts came with the rain. The house of one of my students was partially damaged but they are OK. All of my hummer friendly flowers are loving it though.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We are right next to Sandestin Resort between Destin and Panama City.

December 1st, 2016, 4:00 pm #3

It's been raining steadily for 2 hours now. A slow, steady rain. I hope everyone else here in north Florida gets some as well.
Rhonda
Yesterday, here in Louisiana, we got a nice rain. My plants were really suffering.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

December 1st, 2016, 4:36 pm #4

Rhonda
Burke and Nancy, glad to hear you got rain as well. That coupled with the much cooler weather should perk my plants back up.

Burke, sorry to hear about the tornadoes. I'd heard that Alabama had gotten some but didn't realize that Florida was affected.

Take care.
Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 1st, 2016, 5:57 pm #5

Rhonda
Rhonda see if the link or url works regarding the waterspouts.

https://www.facebook.com/anne.belter/vi ... 686541881/
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

December 1st, 2016, 8:09 pm #6

Rhonda
Burke,

Thanks for the link. That's definitely a tornado! I've seen enough of those in Ohio to know that's not a water spout.

Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 2nd, 2016, 3:12 am #7

Rhonda
Burke,

So was it a tornado or waterspout? Sure looks like a tornado, especially due to the size. But most comments say waterspout. Is the only difference between the two the fact that one forms over land and one forms over water?

Off topic, sort of, but will the cooler weather, rain and the tornado/waterspout activity bring hummers further south? Or change their route?

Thanks!
Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 2nd, 2016, 12:38 pm #8

Rhonda
Bah, humbug to you guys. (Not really, I'm glad you got the rain.) It's bone dry here further south. We got a mist on Tuesday, nothing more. According to the Orlando Sentinel we were near an all-time record for a dry November. We had less than an inch.

It's also very hot. It was something like 85 yesterday.

I'm doing a lot of watering now, but the plants seem to be doing alright. I was able to cut down a tree this week and now it looks like my white powder puff will have an excellent bloom.

No hummers for almost a month now. It's beginning to look like last year when I saw one hummer all of December and none in January. Still, there are lots of butterflies around, thankfully.
Central Florida 9B

December 2nd, 2016, 1:15 pm #9

Rhonda
Rhonda, it was indeed a waterspout. Yes, one is over water and the other is over land, although a water spout can do a lot of damage when it makes landfall. I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this very same topic. He saw a picture of a waterspout on the same day in the Choctawhatchee Bay (local bay) that looked just like a tornado. Usually waterspouts are very thin compared to a tornado but this waterspout was wide indicative of a normal tornado.

I still have not seen a hummer in about a week and a half. So far the storm did not "push" in any hummers here. I'm keeping my eyes open though.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

December 2nd, 2016, 2:07 pm #10

Rhonda
Here is a video of a waterspout taken about a mile from my house on Buck Bayou. This waterspout is in the middle of the Choctawhatchee Bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3jaew2pwc
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

December 2nd, 2016, 3:58 pm #11

Rhonda
Wow! Those are huge waterspouts. Good thing that they didn't cross land.
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 2nd, 2016, 4:51 pm #12

Rhonda
Tom,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any rain. I'm glad you have the ability to water, I'd hate to think of that beautiful garden of yours succumbing to drought. I have a feeling that the rain is going to be sparse all winter.

Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 4th, 2016, 12:01 am #13

Rhonda

I am a newcomer here, I live out in the middle of the Sonoran desert in ARIDzona. I have to ask .

What is rain ?

December 4th, 2016, 3:55 am #14

Rhonda
Welcome Doug! I bet you see hummers year-round in the Sonoran Desert. I know from past visits to Arizona that when you do get rain it usually results in a flash flood that runs off quickly because the ground is so hard and dry. Correct?

Florida needs lots of rain and we usually have a rather rainy summer and dry winter. However, most parts of the state have been in a drought this summer so the dry winter is just extending it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your hummers.

Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 4th, 2016, 4:24 pm #15

Rhonda
Different part of the country and they have mentioned rain , but they also are talking snow maybe 1-2" worth, hmmmm. I still have not taken my main garden completely to the ground. Still have a foot of stubble that needs to go or will I just get lazy and let nature be nature.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

Confirmation of reply: