December 5th, 2016, 5:31 pm #16

It's been raining steadily for 2 hours now. A slow, steady rain. I hope everyone else here in north Florida gets some as well.
Rhonda
'Tis a dark and stormy morning here in southern Louisiana. Do you hear a 'whoop' of joy? For an area that experienced 2 major flooding events in the last 8 months, we had gotten less than 1 inch of rain in the last 2 months.

Last week's light shower was promising, but I was watering potted plants by the next day. Rain was in the forecast all last week though nothing wet fell from the clouds until Saturday night, when a light drizzle began. Intermittent rain fell all day Sunday, enough to soak the soil and give new life to wilting shrubs. Now, we have more rain and I am happy that I do not have to go anywhere. Let it rain!

I have not seen a Ruby-throated here at Casa Colibrí since 23 October. On that date, I also had a young male Rufous that permitted me to affix a band to his ankle. On 31 October, a non-feeder-using Buff-bellied dropped by in mid afternoon, but he left the next morning, with a band.

Fortunately, some folks do have hummers this odd season. On Saturday, Steve and I banded [or documented as returnee] 6 Buff-bellieds, 2 immature male Ruby-throateds and an adult female Black-chinned. 2 additional Buff-bellieds were too clever to be caught. They are probably returnees that know the score.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

December 5th, 2016, 5:46 pm #17

It's been raining steadily for 2 hours now. A slow, steady rain. I hope everyone else here in north Florida gets some as well.
Rhonda
Steve,
I had heard that there is a huge cold front covering the entire US this week. Hope you're able to get your plants protected or cuttings made. I haven't checked the forecast today but they were calling for 27℉ here this coming Friday with a high around 50℉....very cold for us.

Nancy,
I hope you're sending that rain this way. While I welcomed the rain last week, as you said it didn't last long and wasn't nearly enough. Glad to hear that you're still banding birds, nice to know someone is seeing them.

I hope this system doesn't bring tons of snow and cold for those up north and doesn't set off tornadoes down here.

Rhonda

Never stop enjoying life,
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 5th, 2016, 7:13 pm #18

Rhonda
For those in AL, GA, LA you should be getting wet as I type! Panhandle of FL later today and the rest of FL and other SE states, only downside is the possibility of some imbedded severe storms.

As usual I expected the colder temperatures following the rain will push a few hummers further south, that's the upside for us hoping for more hummers and maybe the appearance of a western hummer. The rare western birds I see in the winter months always seem to move in following cold fronts in Dec. and Jan.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

December 6th, 2016, 2:11 am #19

Rhonda
Joe,

I like your forecast.....lots of rain and maybe hummers I'll put up with cold if we get those two.

Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 6th, 2016, 11:49 am #20

Rhonda
It's been pouring heavily all night with strong wind gusts. Forecast for Friday now calls for a low if only 35. Good news
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

December 7th, 2016, 9:12 pm #21

Rhonda
It was a dark and foreboding day here in Lakeland yesterday. However after the clouds cleared and the worst never occurred the rain gauge showed a "scant" 1/2 inch of rain. Welcome rain, we needed, but not enough!

I am trying to nurse a recently planted "live oak" back to life for two months. It apparently suffered severe shock after moving it from pot to the ground. It does have a few new leaf sprouts near the base of the tree but the upper 4' have no signs of new growth and nothing but brown leaves.

"Hope springs eternal" and I hope this tree will survive for the benefit of future owners of this property, long after.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

December 7th, 2016, 9:27 pm #22

Rhonda
It could be that it will sprout from the base for you. It has been years since I transplanted an oak but I recall several died to the base but eventually recovered and made very strong growth. None of the oaks were Live Oaks however so take it with a grain of salt.
Southern New Jersey

December 8th, 2016, 5:25 pm #23

Rhonda
Thanks for the encouraging words Ward,
This was my first try and I tried to follow the "book" and avoid the shock effect, to no avail, within 4 days all the green leaves had browned.

Watered it faithfully for 6 weeks and finally a week ago I noted a green sprout about an inch from the base, happy day! Looked this morning and it now has added 3 more but none more than 5 inches above the base. After a month it would have been easy to give up on the sapling but it looks fairly promising now. Time will tell, I guess.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Confirmation of reply: