Question about birdbath

December 3rd, 2016, 10:48 am #1

So, I am trying to attract hummingbirds to my house. I think I have a pair that like my feeder and will hopefully nest nearby. I am thinking about getting a birdbath, but I am concerned that it might attract crows or other predatory birds that will drive off the hummingbirds. Should this be a concern? Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Pop

December 3rd, 2016, 10:49 am #2

If it matters, I am in so-cal where there is a drought, which is why I think some water might be useful.

Pop

December 4th, 2016, 1:11 am #3

So, I am trying to attract hummingbirds to my house. I think I have a pair that like my feeder and will hopefully nest nearby. I am thinking about getting a birdbath, but I am concerned that it might attract crows or other predatory birds that will drive off the hummingbirds. Should this be a concern? Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Pop
When I have set out waterers here , location, size of waterer, and type of waterer make a fair difference.

A lot of places I have visited seem to suggest that 1 1/2 to 2 inch depth is best . I have also learned for myself that the pans need to have a very shallow taper and I prefer that they have something of a textured floor .

Size of pan, hanging, pedestal, or ground bird bath . Also drippers or misters . Here I have found hummers enjoy drippers and shallow ends of bird baths. Most of the bird baths at Walmart and standard hardware outlets have sharp drop offs from the edge .

Hanging bird baths of small to medium size seem to discourage larger birds as the hanging chains are a bit of an encumberance to them I have observed. Waterers closer to the house also seems to keep the predatory birds more reluctant.

Locating hanging bird baths somewhat higher closer to the overhang of trees branches also helps . I have some ground bird baths that some resident coopers hawks will use if hawks and other predators are of concern.

I also have had vultures use ground bird baths so long as the baths are far enough away from the house (I live on/have 4 acres in the middle of nowhere)

If hummingbirds are the targets that you are trying to please here is a few links to a homemade hummingbird bird bath that I will try hopefully soon . Other people here should get a kick out of them as well;

https://www.facebook.com/amazingbirdstu ... 166312649/

http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/outdoor/ ... -bath.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-P ... Bird-Bath/

http://www.hometalk.com/15586837/making ... uestions=1

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/backyard- ... bird-bath/

December 4th, 2016, 3:39 am #4

Thanks.

Pop
Doug,

Thank you for the enjoyable time watching all the hummingbirds enjoy a bath!! How entertaining and fun it was to watch. Thank you too for all of the great details on how to create one for my yard.

December 5th, 2016, 6:07 am #5

Thanks.

Pop
People who come to our Hummingbird Gardening programs often ask if a standard birdbath is useful to hummingbirds and the answer is it could be if the water is shallow enough and has some movement (other birds don't mind non-moving water as much, as long as it is clean.) Doug threw out some great ideas and with some modifications it could be done if you are unable to install a small garden pond. The water in our pond is extremely shallow, just covering the pea gravel on the bottom. Hummingbirds are the size of your thumb, so you can only imagine how small their feet would be! Most of their energy and power is directed towards flight, so you want the water to meet those unique requirements. If the birdbath is too deep (and many are), you could place flat rocks on the bottom of the basin to raise up the level of the water. The greater challenge is creating moving water, especially if an electrical outlet is not available. Good luck to you.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

Popinjay
Popinjay

December 7th, 2016, 1:54 am #6

Thanks.

Pop
Thanks everybody!

December 7th, 2016, 10:41 pm #7

Thanks.

Pop
We often place some flat rocks in the bird baths and fountain for the smaller birds who prefer shallow water.

Here is a video of a Cooper's Hawk at our small birdbath.
https://youtu.be/cZXJEZu3_fA
Foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Tucson, Arizona
Zone 9a

December 8th, 2016, 5:58 am #8

Thanks.

Pop
Nice video Douglas. This is what we tell people in our programs to do.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

Confirmation of reply: