Protein supplements??

July 14th, 2006, 6:44 pm #11

Hi, we are trying to get a Black-Chinned baby healthy enought to release. Are there any protein supplements we should add to the nectar? Right now we are using the red stuff you buy at PetSmart. Is there something better? She can fly a little but always seems a lttle weak. Thanks for any help!! Bob
fight, fight, fight, fight!

j/k

Bob, it seems like you tried your best to find help for the hummingbird..If no rehabber is willing to help, then you have to go it alone the best you can..

If you really want to do it right, use nektar-plus, it has everything they need to grow, but its -expensive!!

Lanny is probably right the bird may die with what your doing, but my guess it has a better chance with nektar-plus.. If you're serious about doing it, why not get the real stuff?

http://www.squirrelstore.com/site/74499 ... ct/2510800

good luck!

d

Northeastern New Jersey
Bergen County
[USDA Zone 6b/Sunset Zone 37/Heat Zone 5]
Last edited by birdbah_nj on July 14th, 2006, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 14th, 2006, 7:20 pm #12

Hi, we are trying to get a Black-Chinned baby healthy enought to release. Are there any protein supplements we should add to the nectar? Right now we are using the red stuff you buy at PetSmart. Is there something better? She can fly a little but always seems a lttle weak. Thanks for any help!! Bob
Keep in mind, Nektar has to be replaced every 2-3 hours and the feeder must be cleaned with each replacement.  Because of it's nutritional content, it supports bacterial growth rapidly once it's reconstituted.

Annie
""

July 15th, 2006, 3:18 am #13

Again, thanks to all of you for your kidness and support. I think if the bird was going to die it would have done so by now.

July 15th, 2006, 5:50 am #14

Bob:

I don't care what names you call me. You will note that the only thing I've called you is "wrong."

You appear to have called one rehabber, then given up. Or maybe you meant that you'd called one in the past for a crow, so you didn't bother this time. That's not everything you could have done--there are dozens of hummingbird rehabbers, many listed online, and any one of them would have offered expert advice by phone. Yes, they really are experts, with training, certification, and experience, not to mention permits so they can keep sick birds legally.

You were advised to stop using red dye, yet you refused. Why? Because you weren't going to waste valuable sugar when you already had a supply of red junk? Red dye is teratogenic, and it's especially bad for developing chicks.

But the biggest mistake you made was to decide this chick needed your help, and deny its mother access to feed it properly. A hummingbird chick that can fly has left the nest normally, but it won't be a strong flyer for the first day or two and will be fed by its mother for at least another week. All it needed was to be set on a twig out of reach of cats, then left alone.

I recognize that you meant well, and you did the right thing by asking for advice. But you waited a long time to ask, and then you chose to ignore what you were told (call a rehabber, stop feeding red dye). The instructions from Project Wildlife aren't idle opinions to be disregarded in favor of your own notions; they're the result of years of scientific study and hard-won veterinary experience.

At this point, the bird's best hope is likely in putting it back outdoors in the hope its mother will resume her care and the sugar-only diet hasn't yet caused permanent damage.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/

July 15th, 2006, 11:40 am #15

I just want to add one little comment here about rehabbers in various areas. So far I have never needed one but I have contacted every agency, vet, rehabber I could find in western NY for a couple of years in the event I ever needed to contact one out of need and there isn't anyone in the western NY area who takes hummers. There isn't even a bander anywhere close. Unless things have changed since last summer our closest bander is in Michigan and has to come over the border into Windsor, Ontario down to Niagara Falls, Ont. and then back over into the US can take a very long time when the traffic is backed up at the borders. So I know that it is difficult for everyone to find someone who is trained in the care of hummers. There are still a lot of people here that are involved in nature projects, wildlife preserves etc. that don't think there is a big enough hummer population here to worry about banding, rehabbers, etc. They are considered rare, or occasional. I contacted one wildlife center that also employs vets and rehabbers for every critter under the sun but hummers. I was told they are just too small and occasional to deal with.

At this point, thank God I have never had to find a rehabber but in all honesty, I don't know what I would do if or when the occasion does arise.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 15th, 2006, 4:49 pm #16

Lanny-- FYI I did not deny the bird access to its mother. It was given to me in a box by some students who had found it and knew I was the only teacher on campus that would even try to take care of it. We have no idea where the original nest was, and the birds wings had not grown the flight feathers yet. They are nearly grown out now. He is off the red stuff, and has been for the past several days. He has a bad foot- perhaps a birth defect, perhaps an injury from the fall from the nest that did not heal properly. I DID call the rehabber, who was not helpful at all, and did not even have a name of someone to recommend me to. I called a couple of vets around my area that specialize in birds, but they are parakeet/parrot finch/canary vets, you know, seed-eaters. The biggest help (aside from this forum) has come from a local bird shop where the owner is also a breeder. In addition to the granulated sugar water, my daughter has caught small insects (not ants) and ground them into the sugar solution. The bird gets stronger every day, and can fly for short spurts around the living room. However, it has a difficult time landing, probably becasue of the bad foot. We are hoping that it will get strong enough to release within the next week or so. If this was the wrong thing, then I would do it again, since without these "wrong" actions the bird would have been dead by now.

July 15th, 2006, 7:03 pm #17

Bob~ I sympathise with your situtation. I had a young hummingbird handed over to me on July 4th. It's not a baby, but the right wing was injured and just hung from the shoulder. Unlike your location, I am extremely lucky to have a rehabber fairly nearby. She has only dealt with a few hummies, but knew how to wrap the bird in paper tape to hold the wing against the body - a splint. I offered to keep him (her?) for the two weeks the splint is supposed to stay on.

But before this rehabber could be reached (she was away on the 4th), I emailed another rehabber who has helped me before (with a pair of newborn Carolina Wrens.) She assisted me via the internet and telephone. I've never met her as she lives in an adjoining state, but she was an angel of mercy.

She told me that hummies can digest protein from mealworms, but not the outer layer of hardened skin, or chitin. You can buy mealworms (mealies) from pet shops, some convenience stores (they have them as fishing bait), etc. I was told to cut off the mealworm's head, then press out the body contents with the flat of the knife. A small amount of this material can be added to regular nectar (sugar water.) I did this for three days before being able to make up a formula which has more nutrients in it. I've been keeping any food concoctions in the fridge, drawing up only a small amount per feeding into a plastic syringe I got from the pharmacist at my local drugstore. The bird readily puts its beak into the opening and slurps up some of the liquid. In an hour or two the syringe is empty and I clean it well, rinse, then get some more fresh formula.

If you would like my rehabber's name, phone no., & email addy, please mail me privately.

Good luck, both to you and your daughter. I'm so sorry your kind hearts have been put to the test with this situation. Until hearing from you and from Penny, I had no idea there were so few rehabbers in certain areas. Which part of the country do you live in?

LindaSkyview
Western NC mountains
Zone 6b - Sunset Zone 36 - Heat Zone 4,5,6

July 16th, 2006, 5:31 am #18

peace, brothers! while I think that there's no better place than a topic specific forum like this to discuss all aspects of birding and gardening, and that much is to be gained from public discourse particularly when we disagree, I feel obliged to remind everyone that the most important thing is to respond in such a way that it will never discourage newcomers and lurkers from posting.

stan
nashville, tn
usda zone6b
http://usera.imagecave.com/standard/
http://usera.imagecave.com/standard/flowers/

July 16th, 2006, 12:17 pm #19

I agree with Stan 100%.

-
Cheers,Bob

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 6a
Lexington,KY
How to add a Signature
Regards,
Bob

Confirmation of reply: