Plants that attract hummers and butterflies equally

Plants that attract hummers and butterflies equally

May 10th, 2012, 6:41 am #1

I was thinking about this because it sometimes occurs to me that I concentrate so much on hummingbirds and I only get perhaps three or four maximum in and around my property at a time. Normally I will see only one hummingbird a day. I have maybe twenty-five or so different plants to attract them with perhaps a total of over a hundred.

Anyway, most hummingbird plants also attract butterflies, but there is only one in my garden that I can think of that attracts both hummingbirds and butterflies equally and that this the Stachytarpheta urticifolia (syn. S. cayennensis). I have three different types of Stachytarphetas, or porterweeds, but the favorite is the big blue/purple one (urticifolia). Almost all butterflies love it and it is a big favorite of the hummingbirds also.

Right now the other plant that comes close is the hamelia patens or firebush because it is the favorite of the Zebra Longwings. They love this plant, but many other butterflies, like Monarchs or Fritillaries use it only occasionally.

Any plants that are equally attractive in your gardens?

Central Florida 9B

May 10th, 2012, 11:12 am #2

Tom
That is an excellent question and one I have wondered about myself as well. I would like to add a vew more plants that are equally attractive to both hummers and butterflies.
I actually have very few butterfly specific plants other than swamp milkweed and butterfly bush. I do see them on zinnias and coneflowers

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 10th, 2012, 12:45 pm #3

I was thinking about this because it sometimes occurs to me that I concentrate so much on hummingbirds and I only get perhaps three or four maximum in and around my property at a time. Normally I will see only one hummingbird a day. I have maybe twenty-five or so different plants to attract them with perhaps a total of over a hundred.

Anyway, most hummingbird plants also attract butterflies, but there is only one in my garden that I can think of that attracts both hummingbirds and butterflies equally and that this the Stachytarpheta urticifolia (syn. S. cayennensis). I have three different types of Stachytarphetas, or porterweeds, but the favorite is the big blue/purple one (urticifolia). Almost all butterflies love it and it is a big favorite of the hummingbirds also.

Right now the other plant that comes close is the hamelia patens or firebush because it is the favorite of the Zebra Longwings. They love this plant, but many other butterflies, like Monarchs or Fritillaries use it only occasionally.

I know they both use butterflyweed, Asclepias tuberosa. And tropical is a host plant for some butterflies also. I know swallowtails use it as a host plant.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

May 11th, 2012, 3:53 am #4

When I had Maltese Cross, both the early hummers and butterflies used it. Not a lot but it was used. I had to remove them because they got way too big and with all the wind here I spent all my time trying to keep them from beingh damaged and falling over and breaking. I think they both use the Verbena bonariensis and Mexican sunflowers too.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 11th, 2012, 4:26 am #5

Here in my garden I see both on butterfly bush, zinnias, and verbena bonariensis.

Pam: what swallowtails use tropical milkweed as a host plant?

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43

May 11th, 2012, 12:29 pm #6

Im growing common milkweed or trying to in an effort to get some monarchs started around here as I have seen none. When I go to my local nursery I see they have the host plants for monarchs that are nearly 4ft tall but its hard for me to purchase it at $10 ea. when I see so many good hummingbird plants there.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

May 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm #7

I have the Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella' (Swamp milkweed) I planted next to a gutter down spout. It get about 4 or 5 ft. tall now and I have seen both the monarchs and the hummers use it. Last year I had several Monarch cats on it

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on May 11th, 2012, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 11th, 2012, 12:41 pm #8

Yes Linsey, verbena bonariensis is a good one for both! I love this plant. Tall, willowy, purple, and has nectar, what more could a wildlife gardener hope for? I know Ward has these in the Palmyra Gardens, he will know what butterflies they attract. But I have seen swallowtail at them. Not sure about monarch...

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

May 11th, 2012, 12:48 pm #9

I have never seen hummingbirds on my verbena Pam, but as a butterfly plant it can't be beat. In late summer skippers use Salvia greggii and microphylla. Monarda fistulosa comes to mind as a probable "both" plant. To be honest I can't think of any plant that is equal even though many plants get some use one seems to be always primary.

May 11th, 2012, 1:01 pm #10

Yes Ward, Equal is tough, but I figure that may have been just been semantics and he would be happy if they both used the plants. And why Not garden for both species? butterflies need the support too and they are amazing to watch and guess what? They DON'T come to feeders, you have to plant the right flowers/bushes!

Go for it Tom!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Confirmation of reply: