Petunia Exserta!

Petunia Exserta!

April 7th, 2012, 6:03 pm #1

For anyone who is trying to grow these from seed how are yours doing. Im wondering how far behind mine is. Mine are still very small hardly growing I have mine in 3oz solo cups and Im wondering if those are too big.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

April 7th, 2012, 7:36 pm #2

Mine are in cell paks. They are small compared to salvias but about on target for petunias. Mine aren't getting as much light as I don't have a light set up and our days haven't been all that sunny. When I had them on the porch in our warm spell they were filling out nicely but have slowed down when I had to bring them back inside

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

April 7th, 2012, 9:27 pm #3

For anyone who is trying to grow these from seed how are yours doing. Im wondering how far behind mine is. Mine are still very small hardly growing I have mine in 3oz solo cups and Im wondering if those are too big.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Penny

Sounds like yours are doing much better than mine. Im just not sure if mine will make it.

Today Ive been taking advantage of this beautiful day and doing some rearranging . Ive been waiting for my tutti frutti to show itself which it has. But my ensign and tutti frutti have grown into each other to where neither could do what they were capable so the tutti frutti got moved. I also moved my monarda grand marshall out into the open as it was smothered a bit by the honeysuckle. That also allowed me to put all my coral bells in that bed along with my cardinal flowers. I also removed one of my hot lips that isnt doing well and they are big time space hogs anyway. So that clears way for some new stuff. I would like to also add some Jacob Cline at some point maybe this summer .

Also my peonies that dug up from my sisters yard a couple summers ago is getting bigger and she offered me more when I was over there yesterday but mine will grow. I just wanted something to remind me of mom.

April 7th, 2012, 9:46 pm #4

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Steve
Your coral bells are going to want to be in well drained soil. They don't like having their feet stay wet so if they are too close to your Cardinal flowers you may have to move them.

I have only grownPetunia intergritfolia from seed in the past so I am no expert but From the little I know about growing Petunias from seed they seem to take a while to develop a good root system. so your cups might just be a bit too big for them right now. Mine will probably be able to stay in the cell packs until it is time to transplant them into the pots or areas they are going to grow in for the rest of the summer. I will let the cells fill up with roots before transplanting them

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on April 7th, 2012, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

April 7th, 2012, 10:12 pm #5

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Penny

Thanks for the heads up but thats where they are and where they will stay. I sort of have my doubts that they will make it anyway so time will tell. We shall see how they do in that location.

April 7th, 2012, 10:25 pm #6

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

I transplanted mine into separate pots which stopped their growth. They are finally starting to grow again. They all have only basal leaves and the plants range in width from 1.5 to 3.5 inches.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a

April 7th, 2012, 11:27 pm #7

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Gary

When did you start yours? I must by doing something way wrong as mine are doing nothing near what you and Penny have going.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

April 7th, 2012, 11:51 pm #8

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Steve,

I sowed them on Feb. 28.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a

April 8th, 2012, 12:32 am #9

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Gary

Thanks I may have started mine a week or so later than you. The only ones of mine that had shown any growth at all were two that I had potted up. So I went ahead and did them all the same and hoping they start growing now. Plus I gained a couple as I found two growing together twice.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Last edited by Stevenindy on April 8th, 2012, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2012, 1:10 am #10

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

I started my P. exserta via the Baggy Method on 3/22 and they began germinating on 3/24. After most seemed done with that process, I transplanted the tiny seedlings into cells. I have them close under the lights and they're getting their first true leaves. I'd say they're right on track, as petunias go. The initial growth is slow, but once the roots are well established, the plants grow faster. In my climate, I'm probably about 4-6 weeks from plant-out time. The nights stay cool here for a long time.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
Last edited by Celtguy on April 8th, 2012, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: