Palmyra Planting day

March 7th, 2016, 8:58 pm #1

I am thinking planting day will be Saturday April 30 with a weather date of May 1. Do any of the usual suspects think that day will work for you. By that date I hope to have all the prep work done so that only planting will need to be done. The long-term forecast indicates we will have a rather warm March and an average April. The last time the weather was like that the salvia were already in full bloom when we did our work. Wouldn't that be nice?
Southern New Jersey

March 9th, 2016, 3:38 pm #2

Sounds good to me. Having salvia already in bloom would be very nice indeed! Looking forward to meeting other volunteers too.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

March 9th, 2016, 4:28 pm #3

I am thinking planting day will be Saturday April 30 with a weather date of May 1. Do any of the usual suspects think that day will work for you. By that date I hope to have all the prep work done so that only planting will need to be done. The long-term forecast indicates we will have a rather warm March and an average April. The last time the weather was like that the salvia were already in full bloom when we did our work. Wouldn't that be nice?
I hope there will be others, I never know.
Southern New Jersey

March 9th, 2016, 9:37 pm #4

As of now I am free the weekend of the 30th.
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

March 10th, 2016, 1:31 am #5

Good you will get to some of the other gardeners and the gardens need all the help they can gets. Thanks. I just hope Kate can make it.
Southern New Jersey

March 10th, 2016, 2:14 am #6

I sure hope I can be there this year to help. Plus it would be great to see all my NJ friends again, and to meet Adrienne, if she can make it. I am hoping the weather will stay warm enough to encourage some blooms on some of the salvias. That would be a wonderful sight. My salvias here in central PA are not looking too good - not at all like they did in 2012 when we had that warm March.

Kate

March 13th, 2016, 5:51 pm #7

May 1 works better for me. Not sure I can make April 30 because a big event at U of Delaware (Ag Day) that I may be (WILL be) drafted to participate in.

http://canr.udel.edu/ag-day/

So don't change the date for everyone else, just for me... but just saying if May 1 works out better for others, it's also better for me.

Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

March 14th, 2016, 1:25 am #8

I am willing to listen Ron. I just picked Saturday because it allowed a rain date.
Southern New Jersey

March 14th, 2016, 1:26 am #9

I am willing to listen Ron. I just picked Saturday because it allowed a rain date.
Southern New Jersey

March 14th, 2016, 3:11 pm #10

No problem - whatever works out - just let me know.
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

March 14th, 2016, 4:27 pm #11

Ron, I am still waiting to see who might speak up. I would rather have you there, it is a question of trust, since you are such an experienced gardener and a friend.
Southern New Jersey

March 14th, 2016, 9:11 pm #12

If I am feeling up to driving that far, either day should be okay for me.

Kate

March 14th, 2016, 10:30 pm #13

Come to think of it I am likely to be there both days. If the gardens get done day two there is always guerrilla gardening.
Southern New Jersey

March 15th, 2016, 1:30 pm #14

Either day is fine for me. I grew fig trees (I think they are Celeste figs but I can't be sure) from cuttings this winter. I'm acclimating them to natural light now. If any volunteers want one of these baby trees, let me know and I'll bring them on planting day. I've set aside a couple of fig trees for Ward. I think I have at least four more. It was fun to grow them. Its roots have proven cold-hardy in NY without but some protection is recommended at least initially.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

March 15th, 2016, 1:37 pm #15

That is right. Where to plant figs? Do deer like them?
Southern New Jersey

Confirmation of reply: