March 15th, 2016, 1:48 pm #16

I am thinking planting day will be Saturday April 30 with a weather date of May 1. Do any of the usual suspects think that day will work for you. By that date I hope to have all the prep work done so that only planting will need to be done. The long-term forecast indicates we will have a rather warm March and an average April. The last time the weather was like that the salvia were already in full bloom when we did our work. Wouldn't that be nice?
Living in an urban location, I have zero experience dealing with deer, fortunately. I would imagine deer will enjoy everything on a fig tree. Perhaps a cattle panel around it would help.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

March 15th, 2016, 5:27 pm #17

I am thinking planting day will be Saturday April 30 with a weather date of May 1. Do any of the usual suspects think that day will work for you. By that date I hope to have all the prep work done so that only planting will need to be done. The long-term forecast indicates we will have a rather warm March and an average April. The last time the weather was like that the salvia were already in full bloom when we did our work. Wouldn't that be nice?
Thanks for the way in advance heads-up! Now I can reserve that day in my work schedule. Or, should I reserve May 1? Either way works, just the sooner I know the better

March 15th, 2016, 6:14 pm #18

That is great Lisa. If I recall correctly you were big help the first year and then you went to nursing school. Let's say Saturday unless you have some conflict. It is hard to believe it has been 10 years.
Southern New Jersey

March 18th, 2016, 2:04 pm #19

I took a quick walk down the median this morning to see how things were going. Among the hundred or so greggii/microphylla it now seems likely that only a couple were lost if that. That is a very good return even in what was a rather mild winter. We only experienced a couple of nights in low single digits. Almost as important is rainfall keeping the ground soaked for weeks and months and that wasn't much of an issue either. The only plants to really suffer were the non-rupestris western type Agastaches. Most of those remaining lost all green after a period of cool damp weather and if past experience serves these are dead as doornails. All this life is going to make the cutting back a lot more tricky. Fortunately Adrienne and Rich are coming. Their agile hands can do the fine work while the two brutes, Ken and me, power through the rest.
Southern New Jersey

March 18th, 2016, 6:28 pm #20

That is so amazing that it is time for your annual Palmyra Planting Day already! And if I lived closer, I would have wanted to go and help out, though I surely don't have the agile hands that Adran, Ron and the others have. But you know Ward, I would love to see your neighborhood birds, so someday!!!

p.s. My San Carlos Festival and the new starts from last year have survived the winter and as always, my Salvia neurepia looks dead, but I see some starts of leafing out, so all is not lost. Plus my Lonicera Cilosas are already budding out- they will bloom in a week or so.
Ruth
Everett,WA
Zone 8

March 18th, 2016, 11:36 pm #21

San Carlos Festival is a great old cultivar isn't it? There's a plant out back here in a garden abandoned years ago and every spring there is and against all odds. I wish there was still pure Neurepia around but what left is one or more generations in the past. As the years go by many of the original players have replaced by subsequent generations. It is hard to decide whether to do a restart, bring back some the named cultivars and try a few new ones. There is always the nagging certainty that the garden could be better. It is an obsession, and recent late springs that turned into summer droughts. That old 2012 thread reminded me what was possible. One fact that keeps me going is the quality of the gardeners that come to help out. Any of them could create these gardens, maybe better ones.

We'll Ruth you are welcome to. You just need to remember migration is vert iffy these days. Numbers are fraction of what they were and poor migration weather can last for weeks. Spring in Ohio is better bet than NJ, in the fall it is mid September New Jersey.
Southern New Jersey

April 25th, 2016, 3:23 pm #22

Ward - I am truly sorry, but I will not be able to be there for Planting Day on either Saturday or Sunday. I find that with my current health situation, the driving and everything would be just too much for me at this time. I am so sorry to bail out on you, and I will really miss seeing old and new friends. I hope there will be enough other dedicated volunteers to get everything done. I was so looking forward to it this year after missing last year's Planting Day.

Regrets,
Kate

April 25th, 2016, 5:37 pm #23

You will be missed Kate, among those who have interacted with you over the years you don't lack for fans. Feel better!
Southern New Jersey

April 26th, 2016, 12:38 pm #24

I am trying to think of all the things that can go wrong. Being sick as a dog is one of them it kept me from completing garden prep work. Then my sister just called, mom is being admitted to the hospital. Shoot, it all seems so straight forward in conception, the best plans of mice and men. At least I have you all to pick up the slack a bit and here is hoping I don't have to bail.

Some of the greggii are showing red flowers now that haven't quite opened yet.
Southern New Jersey

April 26th, 2016, 2:31 pm #25

I'm sorry you won't be able to come to Palmyra this time around, Kate. Hopefully we can meet up another time in the not too distant future.

Ward, as I mentioned in email, if you'd like to reschedule that is no problem for us. I hope you feel better and I hope the situation improves.

It's exciting to know there are flower buds already at the Nectar Garden.

-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

April 26th, 2016, 4:05 pm #26

Hi Ward, I hope all goes well with your Mom!

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

April 26th, 2016, 4:33 pm #27

Ward,

So sorry to hear about your Mom. We hope she recovers!! Tough time of year for this to happen. Take care!

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

April 26th, 2016, 5:40 pm #28

Kate hope you are taking good care of yourself and feel better. Ward the same goes for you.gardens will live on but there is only one you. Hope whatever is going on with your mom is easily fixable.
Ruth
Everett,WA
Zone 8

April 26th, 2016, 6:28 pm #29

Ruth, actually when I shave I see another of me. Talk about a disturbing sight.
Southern New Jersey

April 28th, 2016, 1:27 pm #30

It was a close shave but it looks like I won't be dying of the flu and could actually prove of use this Saturday because that is planting day. I stopped and walked median on the way to work. Lots of Baltimore & Orchard Orioles singing and Warbling Vireos. It didn't feel like summer but at least it sounded like it.

I will try to remember to bring a few odds and ends to share - don't forget don't forget.
Southern New Jersey

Confirmation of reply: