OT seed collecting

November 6th, 2016, 11:54 pm #1

Does anyone know when to collect penstemon seeds? They seem to be still green on the plant. Will leaving them alone to ripen be ok or should I cut them and hang them to dry them?
Or should I even bother?

November 8th, 2016, 1:06 am #2

It is best to wait for the seed capsules to turn brown before collecting seed from Penstemon, so I'd wait if possible. With other species I've had some luck collecting green stalks or seed capsules and drying them in paper bags when I'm impatient, but I've never tried it with Penstemon. The seed capsules of Penstemon species I collect seed from hold on to the seed well as it dries, so you don't have to worry too much about the ripening seed being spilled out of the capsules before you are ready to collect it.
Donald
Red Wing MN
zone 4

November 8th, 2016, 10:44 am #3

Does anyone know when to collect penstemon seeds? They seem to be still green on the plant. Will leaving them alone to ripen be ok or should I cut them and hang them to dry them?
Or should I even bother?
Hi Don,
Thanks for the info, it is a beautiful plant and I hoped to make more of them...
It has been such a strange warm spring here I should try to take cuttings also.

November 9th, 2016, 12:51 am #4

Or should I even bother?
Man how much am I dreading winter when I put in spring instead of fall

November 10th, 2016, 1:20 pm #5

Or should I even bother?
I like to wait for the stem and seeds capsules to dry to make
sure they are ripe. I know with my lighthouse Salvia splendid
the annual you purchase in cell packs at any store some seed
will be ripe and others will not even if the flower is not dried
out which I find wierd.
So here is my stupidity question for the day, I know I asked
before and never got an answer so here goes.
Will seeds always form even without pollination??
I have hummingbird plants out now ...no hummers...
some the bees can not get inside to pollinate these plants
I do not want to bother collecting if they are going to
be sterile seed
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

November 11th, 2016, 12:00 am #6

Or should I even bother?
Wow I never even considered that Cathy.....Seems like I have waited forever for the seeds to get to the point of harvesting.....Hope they actually are viable....

November 11th, 2016, 12:45 am #7

Or should I even bother?
Cathy:

Some plants are able to self-pollinate without the help of a pollinator, while others require cross-pollination with the help of a pollinator to produce seed--so it depends on the plant. If you are able to collect what appears to be seed from a dried capsule, it is likely viable.

Don
Donald
Red Wing MN
zone 4

November 11th, 2016, 6:36 pm #8

Or should I even bother?
Great Thanks Donald!

November 19th, 2016, 1:45 pm #9

Or should I even bother?
Thanks Don.. I always wondered about this
nothing like spending tons of time collecting,
then starting them to wonder hmmmm were the seeds
no good or am I no good at starting them.
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

November 20th, 2016, 12:54 am #10

Or should I even bother?
LOL I always thought it was me....

Confirmation of reply: