Orlando DVD - Swings, Swings and More Swings

Orlando DVD - Swings, Swings and More Swings

June 7th, 2005, 5:22 am #1

Want to see a smooth, seasoned Blake swing in action from all angles with all clubs? Then you'll want a copy of the Orlando DVD, made at the Nick Faldo Golf Institute in Orlando, Florida in January 2005 and starring our own Richard Wax. (Note: Even cd may plump for this.) Richard is 62 and still in his golfing prime, posting recent scores of par or near par on highly rated courses in Europe. In my opinion, this is a compelling reason to develop your own reflex swing, ie, you can take it with you right into the September (and later) of your playing days. And, speaking of September, don't forget our planned Blake gathering in Dallas sometime (date TBD) in September 2005.

As promised, those of you who previously purchased a Riviera DVD can have an Orlando DVD without further charge. I have the names of previous purchasers who have indicated their wish for the Orlando DVD and I'll begin shipping those tomorrow.

New pricing: for a Riviera DVD or Orlando DVD individually, specify which with $15 check or money order. For both, $20 check or money order. Send orders to: Jim Hamilton, 13826 Bent Ridge Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78249. SD

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

June 7th, 2005, 11:11 am #2

I prefer to head straight to Snakedoc's base in San Antonio sometime from 29th August this summer for a few swings with any fellow Mindian. Trust we can find a range and a few balls!

I forgot in my note of thanks to mention the invaluable input of Bdog whose technical contribution is most helpful to this Forum. It would be great to have videos on here as they do on the Single Axis Forum.

Snakedoc points out that Mindy's swing was somewhat steeper than mine. So I'll pop off to the range near us in Paris and see what this does. I certainly notice that Mindy's daughter, Belinda, swing steeper than I do. Mind you my game's working fine so maybe there's something to the fact that I'm a little taller than Mindy was to explain the change of angle.

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

June 7th, 2005, 3:03 pm #3

Snakedoc is truly amazing! He mailed me that he had compared my swing with Mindy's and found that Mindy's was steeper. So I checked out a great photo I have of Mindy and headed off to the range.

No question that my plane had become a bit flat over the years. The modification was immediately felt through purer striking and added effortless yards on the dirve.

Transatlantic coaching at the highest level, well done Snakedoc and thanks for your keen eye.

I'll keep working at it over the summer and report back on Forum but there's no question that Mindy's concept of right eye under left through and after the shot is truly marvellous. This sets the shoulders on a more vertical plane and helps the connection between legs and clubhead.

June 7th, 2005, 5:00 pm #4

...I could do it myself. Knowing what should be done and doing what should be done are two entirely different matters. Those who can...do, those who can't...teach. OK, I'm going to redouble my efforts with my own swing. Thanks for the compliment, Richard. With that bit more length and still straight, you'll be unbeatable! Jim

June 8th, 2005, 8:00 pm #5

I prefer to head straight to Snakedoc's base in San Antonio sometime from 29th August this summer for a few swings with any fellow Mindian. Trust we can find a range and a few balls!

I forgot in my note of thanks to mention the invaluable input of Bdog whose technical contribution is most helpful to this Forum. It would be great to have videos on here as they do on the Single Axis Forum.

Snakedoc points out that Mindy's swing was somewhat steeper than mine. So I'll pop off to the range near us in Paris and see what this does. I certainly notice that Mindy's daughter, Belinda, swing steeper than I do. Mind you my game's working fine so maybe there's something to the fact that I'm a little taller than Mindy was to explain the change of angle.
Snakedoc talked to me about making some clips. I used Riviera as the source for these 2. Snakedoc thought 6/100 to impact but these have almost the entire downswing and a frame or 2 after impact.

Note frames have been removed and color density reduced to fit within the limits of the temporary store so this is not 30fps video:

These will expire from the temporary store on 6/15.

Peter

June 8th, 2005, 10:40 pm #6

...I could do it myself. Knowing what should be done and doing what should be done are two entirely different matters. Those who can...do, those who can't...teach. OK, I'm going to redouble my efforts with my own swing. Thanks for the compliment, Richard. With that bit more length and still straight, you'll be unbeatable! Jim
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

June 8th, 2005, 10:59 pm #7

Snakedoc talked to me about making some clips. I used Riviera as the source for these 2. Snakedoc thought 6/100 to impact but these have almost the entire downswing and a frame or 2 after impact.

Note frames have been removed and color density reduced to fit within the limits of the temporary store so this is not 30fps video:

These will expire from the temporary store on 6/15.

Peter
Thanks to Peter. Hard to determine exactly where Richard's trail elbow is at impact because of the dark shirt he was wearing. However, I'm quite sure his trail elbow passes in front of his trail hip (from the behind, down-the-line video). One interesting aspect of this particular swing is that Richard appears to be addressing the ball with it in advance of his lead foot. I had noticed that in some of his Riviera DVD swings and he advised me that such a ball position is not correct, ie, ball shouldn't be that far forward. Here's the mystery. How the heck could one achieve hands ahead at impact with the ball that far forward? SD

June 8th, 2005, 11:07 pm #8

Thanks to bdog. This is a clear photo depicting two important aspects of the reflex swing. First, notice his perfect execution of his own dictum that 'the right eye should turn up under the left eye' (for right-handed golfers). This proves that he did it himself. Check your own position to see how close you come to the ideal shown here. Also notice, though the swing is almost at its finish, Mindy's trail foot has only rolled slightly toward the target. It's still on the ground. SD

June 9th, 2005, 2:23 am #9

Thanks to Peter. Hard to determine exactly where Richard's trail elbow is at impact because of the dark shirt he was wearing. However, I'm quite sure his trail elbow passes in front of his trail hip (from the behind, down-the-line video). One interesting aspect of this particular swing is that Richard appears to be addressing the ball with it in advance of his lead foot. I had noticed that in some of his Riviera DVD swings and he advised me that such a ball position is not correct, ie, ball shouldn't be that far forward. Here's the mystery. How the heck could one achieve hands ahead at impact with the ball that far forward? SD
While the video appears to be perpendicular to the tee line it is not necessarily perpendicular to the direction Richard was aiming. This was however the closest angle I could find to correct ball position.

Hands ahead of clubhead when the hands reach the lead thigh is not uncommon for pros.

Peter

June 10th, 2005, 1:19 pm #10

A few weeks ago Peter wrote: "I've seen several shows on TGC lately that emphasized the importance of keeping the club 'outside the hands' in follow through on pitches. This is one of the more notable elements of Blake's swing both full and pitches based on the photos of him that have been posted here. However this is not exhibited in Richard's swing. How important is this element of Blake's swing?"

His definition of 'outside of hands': "If you look at GtTB Fig. 28, a vertical line through the clubhead is 'outside of' (further from the body) a vertical line through the hands. The same is true in follow through for some photos previously posted here of Mindy's full swing follow through."

Peter pointed out that this latest photo of Blake exhibited this same characteristic. He also said in an email to me that this characteristic indicates no release, something that Mindy thought important. Richard has said he's recently been trying to eliminate some release that has creeped into his swing. How does your swing compare with Mindy's? SD

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

June 10th, 2005, 2:24 pm #11

Snakedoc, please could you explain what this term signifies? Like that, I can check up on how my swing compares with the objectives detailed by Mindy.

Many thanks.

Richard

June 10th, 2005, 3:02 pm #12

A few weeks ago Peter wrote: "I've seen several shows on TGC lately that emphasized the importance of keeping the club 'outside the hands' in follow through on pitches. This is one of the more notable elements of Blake's swing both full and pitches based on the photos of him that have been posted here. However this is not exhibited in Richard's swing. How important is this element of Blake's swing?"

His definition of 'outside of hands': "If you look at GtTB Fig. 28, a vertical line through the clubhead is 'outside of' (further from the body) a vertical line through the hands. The same is true in follow through for some photos previously posted here of Mindy's full swing follow through."

Peter pointed out that this latest photo of Blake exhibited this same characteristic. He also said in an email to me that this characteristic indicates no release, something that Mindy thought important. Richard has said he's recently been trying to eliminate some release that has creeped into his swing. How does your swing compare with Mindy's? SD
If the Blake photo posted above by bdog means that Blake never let the clubhead get as far away from the ball/target line as his hands all the way to his finish then it is REALLY a no release swing. Could he possibly be heicoptering like Arnold? The photo looks much like Richard's posed photo on the Reflex site.

June 10th, 2005, 3:08 pm #13

Snakedoc, please could you explain what this term signifies? Like that, I can check up on how my swing compares with the objectives detailed by Mindy.

Many thanks.

Richard
Can you elaborate any further on the matter of 'outside the hands'? SD

June 10th, 2005, 3:10 pm #14

If the Blake photo posted above by bdog means that Blake never let the clubhead get as far away from the ball/target line as his hands all the way to his finish then it is REALLY a no release swing. Could he possibly be heicoptering like Arnold? The photo looks much like Richard's posed photo on the Reflex site.
Could you elaborate on 'helicoptering'? SD

June 10th, 2005, 3:51 pm #15

Can you elaborate any further on the matter of 'outside the hands'? SD
As you said the clubhead late in follow through for Blake is further from his body than his hands viewed parallel to the target line. In the following edit of the blake photo you can see that the blue line (clubhead) is further from his body than the yellow line (hands) well after impact:

Peter

Confirmation of reply: