Northwoods Beach, WI

Northwoods Beach, WI

July 15th, 2012, 6:59 pm #1

Last week I rented a cabin on Grindstone Lake in Northwoods Beach, WI. I put up two feeders as soon as I arrived, and had Rubythroats in about ten minutes. There were at least three hummers. There was no garden, but I noticed they occasionally visited the flowers posted. They look like a small wild snapdragon to me. All were in sand. Please excuse the amateur photography

July 16th, 2012, 1:58 am #2

When I travel, I too take a feeder. It is fun to see if you will attract anyone. The plant that you posted is a very common weed here. It is all over. I am not sure, but believe that it is linnaria. (spelling?) I have never seen the birds use it, but I am not at all surprised that they do. I have always thought that they would be using many of the wild legume species that we have such an abudance of. I am glad to know that they truely do use this plant.
Thank you for posting this.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

July 16th, 2012, 2:36 am #3

Last week I rented a cabin on Grindstone Lake in Northwoods Beach, WI. I put up two feeders as soon as I arrived, and had Rubythroats in about ten minutes. There were at least three hummers. There was no garden, but I noticed they occasionally visited the flowers posted. They look like a small wild snapdragon to me. All were in sand. Please excuse the amateur photography

Patti S,

Thanks for the info. I Googled Linnaria on the image section and found Linaria vulgaris (Yellow Toadflax). That's certainly it. Since it was everywhere I collected three by pulling it gently from the sand. (Probably a thousand remain).The roots came up easily. I planted them out in a sandy mix today.
In a week's time the hummers drained the feeder. The ladies in our group hated to take the feeder away from them, so I cleaned and refilled it before we left. I suppose the hummingbirds are still sqabbling over it.

July 16th, 2012, 11:25 am #4

Loved the pictures with the lake. They bring back memories of vacations that we took when we lived in Chicago. I caught a lot of fish in those lakes and would dream about the ones I was going to catch all winter.

Interesting that they recognized the feeder right away. They must have seen one before, no?

Central Florida 9B

July 16th, 2012, 3:21 pm #5

Beautiful scenery! Looks like a lovely place to visit or live! Looks like the hummers were glad you came, too!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

July 16th, 2012, 9:57 pm #6

Thanks, everyone,

Tom,
I'm in the Chicago area now. The Hayward, WI area is about seven hours north, towing my boat. It's pretty quiet up there. The fishing was good. I'm sure the hummers have seen feeders before. They're all over town, along with lots of hummingbird plants. Every year the flowers look great. The area gets a lot more rain than Chicago (frequently puts a damper on the fishing). And the local gardeners take advantage.

July 16th, 2012, 11:03 pm #7

Thats awesome you had so many come to visit you.

I always take a feeder with me when we camp, most of the time we just get one or two taking up on our feeder offer.

Thanks for sharing the photo, looked like a wonderful place.

Jodi
Zone 6
South Central Ohio

Confirmation of reply: