No Vacancy

No Vacancy

August 5th, 2017, 3:06 pm #1

With the number of hummingbirds I have, no feeder goes vacant for more then 30 seconds during the day. Usually there are a minimum of three hummingbirds at each feeder. During the morning and evening, it's flying room only at the feeders.
I really enjoy watching so many hummingbirds at once. Sometimes it gets pretty chaotic, especially when I go to get an empty feeder to fill it up. My husband has commented on how we have a race track around the house and it's like little missiles flying by your head. It can get a bit spooky at times with all the buzzing, like a giant swarm of bees.

August 5th, 2017, 7:11 pm #2

Mary,

I would love to see a photo of this if you could get one and post it.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

August 11th, 2017, 2:04 am #3

With the number of hummingbirds I have, no feeder goes vacant for more then 30 seconds during the day. Usually there are a minimum of three hummingbirds at each feeder. During the morning and evening, it's flying room only at the feeders.
I really enjoy watching so many hummingbirds at once. Sometimes it gets pretty chaotic, especially when I go to get an empty feeder to fill it up. My husband has commented on how we have a race track around the house and it's like little missiles flying by your head. It can get a bit spooky at times with all the buzzing, like a giant swarm of bees.
Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152784174@N07/2Xjpor

August 11th, 2017, 2:10 am #4

Totally amazing Mary!!!! Thank you for posting. This would occur only in my dreams!!
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

August 11th, 2017, 8:42 pm #5

Awesome! I would keep adding feeders until the crowds thinned out.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

August 12th, 2017, 12:13 am #6

Outstanding!

August 13th, 2017, 10:23 pm #7

I'm jealous!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

August 27th, 2017, 12:29 am #8

The only reason I don't add more feeders, I think 8 is enough, is that they are now totally running my life I did buy 3 more 32oz feeders just so when I have to go somewhere for more then 4 hours, they will have plenty of food and hopefully not run out before I get back. They go through a gallon or more in 6 hours. I fill as many as I can to total capacity and then swap out any that are 1/2 full or less with full ones (my spares). Yesterday that bought me about 6 hours that I could stay away.

August 28th, 2017, 7:48 pm #9

Mary, Where are you located? Certainly the migration has started for you.
Larry
Southaven, MS
Zone7B

August 30th, 2017, 7:50 pm #10

I live in Julian, California. The Anna's will stick around until mid October when the weather starts getting colder. We do get snow a few times a year, this year it surprised my hummers by snowing in May. I made sure the feeders were free of snow and didn't freeze. Luckily the snow only lasted one day and melted quickly.