No divots ?

No divots ?

August 13th, 2007, 7:21 pm #1

Just thought I would post an observation - I no longer take divots with my iron shots with S+T - not even with my sand wedge. I'm not complaining, since I get more spin than ever and the short irons in particular are like lasers. Is this because my swing path is so much shallower ? I certainly notice superb contact with my fairway woods which would support this theory. Anyone else have a similar experience ?

August 16th, 2007, 3:19 am #2

David,

I am inclined to think that you aren't taking divots because of the overtaking rate of the clubhead. By that, I mean that you are letting the clubhead pass your hands at or after impact. Also, you could have your weight and CoGs positioned too far behind the golf ball in the downswing and well as at impact. You should always, ALWAYS, contact the ground with irons, especially short irons, unless you are trying a specialty shot.

Without actually seeing you swing a club, however, this is merely speculation. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents about why it might be occurring.

August 16th, 2007, 7:39 pm #3

Many thanks for your observation Denver. I suspect that I'm still adjusting to the forces created by the rotary action of the hips as opposed to the conventional slide/turn I was using before. I do notice that I finish with my head very high and I suspect that Annika-like I'm not even looking at the ball at impact ! I'm going to try concentrating on keeping the hands passive and retaining the lag as long as possible.

Confirmation of reply: