New wave of birds....

New wave of birds....

May 6th, 2016, 12:55 pm #1

I can stand at a certain spot in my house and see three of my six feeders. All three had Ruby Throated hummers (males and females)feeding on them at the same time yesterday afternoon. That's about as good as it gets for Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. And once again, it never gets old.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We are right next to Sandestin Resort between Destin and Panama City.

May 6th, 2016, 12:56 pm #2

Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

May 6th, 2016, 3:52 pm #3

I can stand at a certain spot in my house and see three of my six feeders. All three had Ruby Throated hummers (males and females)feeding on them at the same time yesterday afternoon. That's about as good as it gets for Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. And once again, it never gets old.
Burke

I can do the same thing in my house when I have 3 up, but currently I only have two up front and back. Just a while I go I was approaching the rear feeder at the same time a hummer was nearing the feeder , he/she flew off and seconds later I noticed it at my front feeder. This is good, Im on the list of said hummers pit stops knowing I have a feeder at those locations Fun time ahead.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 6th, 2016, 4:18 pm #4

Burke, this past few days have been the best here since northward migration began this year. Two days ago, I was able to count 3 adult females at one time, then later it was 4 adult males! I put 7 Ruby-throateds into the eBird checklist, but that number probably represented a minimum rather than an actual count. Yesterday was a little slower and I can only account for 3 adult females today though it could be one or two more.

Our site host called to say she had to put out more feeders on Wednesday, but of course, our banding day is Saturday. This will probably be the last hurrah but a few more migrants will continue to pass.

Here at my place, use of feeders and use of flowers has been pretty equally divided. I have yet to trim many overgrown plants because with the mild winter, quite a few things that bloom mostly in fall to winter, managed to bloom non-stop into spring. One bed that I am particularly enjoying this spring has 'Wendy's Wish' side by side with her sister 'Ember's Wish' both in front of a huge and prolific 'Phyllis's Fancy'. I call it my 'Salvia Social Club! Hummers have taken notice, too.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

May 6th, 2016, 6:45 pm #5

There appears to be lull here in the past week or so. Probably all the rain and damp east winds have kept birds to the south, that has been true across the board with most migrants we expect to see about now. Weather should become more favorable by Sunday and I wouldn't be surprised to hummingbirds out in the woods gnatcatching at the edges of groups of migrant warblers. At least I hope to see migrants Sunday.
Southern New Jersey

May 9th, 2016, 3:59 pm #6

We experienced a definite lull her roughly May 1st through May 5th then they showed up on the 6th. Now I'm only seeing what I think is a single bird feeding only at my most remote feeder. This bird is very skittish. My son saw one feeding on various hummer friendly plants in our backyard yesterday.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We are right next to Sandestin Resort between Destin and Panama City.

May 9th, 2016, 8:41 pm #7

Whether it is one or a bevy of birds, I agree Burke. It never does get old. I am able to see 3 feeders from one spot in my kitchen. As I add feeders and move them around later in the season I may not be so lucky to watch them from inside.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

Confirmation of reply: