Mother's Day Hummingbird Sighting!!

Mother's Day Hummingbird Sighting!!

May 8th, 2016, 11:50 pm #1

Thanks to all of the wonderful Hummingbird Forum members who responded to our message about our first hummingbird sighting yesterday (actually, only Michael saw our first hummingbird---I was in the house).

Since then, we have had no other sightings at all, despite watching our feeders like crazy.

Well, while sitting here at the computer I saw my first official hummingbird of 2016 ON MOTHER'S DAY!! Now, how exciting is that! He was a beautiful male Ruby-throat and he was only about 5 feet away from me and I could clearly see his gorget. Life just does not get any better than this!!

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 9th, 2016, 12:08 am #2

Kathi

Im guessing you cant ask for a much better "Mother's Day Gift" than having that hummer appear for your personal viewing. Enjoy the season.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 9th, 2016, 10:02 am #3

Thanks to all of the wonderful Hummingbird Forum members who responded to our message about our first hummingbird sighting yesterday (actually, only Michael saw our first hummingbird---I was in the house).

Since then, we have had no other sightings at all, despite watching our feeders like crazy.

Well, while sitting here at the computer I saw my first official hummingbird of 2016 ON MOTHER'S DAY!! Now, how exciting is that! He was a beautiful male Ruby-throat and he was only about 5 feet away from me and I could clearly see his gorget. Life just does not get any better than this!!

So Happy they are back...I wanted to run out and just stare at him when mine showed up!!

May 9th, 2016, 2:26 pm #4

Gratz Kathi
Alex
Northlake, IL

May 9th, 2016, 2:52 pm #5

Kathi
Yes that is an awesome Mother's Day gift. I saw my first of the season yesterday morning as well. I didn't see him the rest of the day but he was back first thing this morning....typical for males. I also had a beautiful male Rose breasted Grosbeak at my seed feeder this morning. That is the first time I have ever seen one and thanks to Ruth and Ward for IDing him for me!
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 9th, 2016, 11:56 pm #6

What a wonderful day that makes! Congratulations!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5
Fran
Lakeview OR
Zone 4/5

May 10th, 2016, 5:52 am #7

Thank you so much for your wonderful and kind comments everyone. The little guy was back again tonight (no daytime sightings of any hummingbird) and fed from three different feeders. With our stormy weather tonight, who knows if he will be back tomorrow or not.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 11th, 2016, 12:37 am #8

Congrats how exciting! I know you've been waiting such a long time. I hope he sticks around for you. I haven't seen any since the one brief siting of an adult male (a first for our location) but that was a thrill in and of itself.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

May 11th, 2016, 6:08 am #9

We did not see our hummingbird today (I did have four sightings of him yesterday in the evening.) It was a dark, cold, and rainy day here. He was probably just passing through.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 14th, 2016, 12:19 am #10

Congrats Kathi! Sounds like it is sticking around.

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

May 14th, 2016, 12:27 am #11

Thanks Ken. Despite the rainy and cold weather, I've already had a few sightings of the little guy today.

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

Confirmation of reply: