Monarch on Verbena

September 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm #1

Yesterday there were several Monarch's on the Lantana and Verbena. Monarchs at Verbena.JPG
Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, USA
Zone 6b

September 14th, 2018, 9:17 pm #2

Carol,  Assuming you grow your Verbena from seeds, where do you get them?  I grew it for the first time this year.  I bought seeds from "Diane's Seeds", which are usually fine.  The plants grew well but the flower heads are just tiny little pinpoints of purple, no real bloom at all.  The butterflies have shown no interest.   Brett

September 15th, 2018, 11:39 am #3

Brett, years ago I bought some Verbena Bonarensis plants and forget where I got them; probably a local nursery.    Once planting them in the garden I never had to buy them again.   They volunteer and are easy to transplant.    If you would like me to send you some plants next spring just let me know and message your address to me.   I think they could easily be mailed and survive.   Or, I will collect some seeds and mail them to you. 

There must be something wrong with your Verbena plants if the flowers did not open.    I expect to have plenty of volunteer plants next spring because I transplanted quite a few seedlings to new areas of the gardens that grew and are going to seed now.   Here is the Verbena in my garden with a Zebra Swallowtail.   I only saw the Zebras on two different days this year. Verbena.JPG
Carol Trego
Zone 6b

September 15th, 2018, 4:39 pm #4

Every verbena species I have dealt with roots easy. I have had 0 success with these from seed (think I'm just stupid lol) but I did root some so if you do mail order nurseries at all like Almost Eden it might be worth getting one that way and propagating it.

BTW Carol I love the zebra swallowtail pic so much, looks so nice with the delicate verbena.
- Maypop95

Gardener of edibles and plants with high wildlife value in zone 9a/b in Northeastern FL. Enemy of invasive fire ant (Solenopsis invictus) and monocultures everywhere. Also just some college kid doing their thing.

Traveling Jul 24 - Aug 15

September 15th, 2018, 7:43 pm #5

Maypop,  I winter sewed Verbena and it did great.  I suppose that's not an option in Florida.    Brett

September 17th, 2018, 12:34 pm #6

I can't remember whether I ever started them from seeds.They have always been good employees, self starters that have to be reined in As always they were the most used butterfly plant. They are so good they make it hard to test other plants. 
Southern New Jersey

September 17th, 2018, 5:12 pm #7

Here is a male Monarch butterfly.  I thought it looked slightly different and compared it to an image in a reference book.   The two black dots beside the back of its body are scent patches.  Also, the lines on the wings of the male are not as prominent as on a female Monarch.   Saw it today in the garden on a Verbena Bonariensis flower.   I remember buying a Verbena that looked kind of like the tall version but was different and not as tall as VB.  It didn't self sow and was only in the garden one year.   I read there are about 250 species of annual and perennial varieties of herbacious or semi-woody flowering verbena plants.    One thing we know for sure is Verbena Bonariensis attracts butterflies. Male Monarch 9.17.18.JPG
Carol Trego
Zone 6b