Mid summer changeover

Mid summer changeover

July 10th, 2017, 8:06 pm #1

It would be hard not to notice the behavioral changes out in the garden. Where once females slipped in quietly to feed and daily but not constantly a male would show, visiting the garden part of whatever route he followed day to day. Starting a few weeks ago birds started perching in trees next to the garden or on tomatoes cages. Now it is battle royal coming in pulses. There are probably females in mid 2nd nesting that slip in to visit like they did in May and June but how can you tell given the overall madness. This is fun season in the hummingbird garden. The children out in force.

July 10th, 2017, 9:21 pm #2

Ward,

Your garden sounds like fun. We are definitely way behind you---our garden in Wisconsin is still quiet, with just a few sightings at dusk.

July 11th, 2017, 1:56 pm #3

It would be hard not to notice the behavioral changes out in the garden. Where once females slipped in quietly to feed and daily but not constantly a male would show, visiting the garden part of whatever route he followed day to day. Starting a few weeks ago birds started perching in trees next to the garden or on tomatoes cages. Now it is battle royal coming in pulses. There are probably females in mid 2nd nesting that slip in to visit like they did in May and June but how can you tell given the overall madness. This is fun season in the hummingbird garden. The children out in force.
I'm in the same boat as Kathi. My activity has been unchanged for weeks after peaking a month ago. During the day it is very quiet. Just before dark a few hummers show up to feed, with a bit of chasing on occasion, but not much. As always, activity won't move up to the next level until the youngsters arrive later in July.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

July 12th, 2017, 8:58 pm #4

I've noticed more feeder & flower visits with some appearing very svelt so I imagine they might be young 'uns. Resident Male has been perching more than flying off after a drink & is still harassing the females (more U dances observed in the past few days).

The first couple of weeks in July have the best show of blooms as far as perennials go & not necessarily Hummer plants. Phlox, Coneflowers, Rudbeckies are out in force. Shastas are waning a big. Buddleias seem to be behind but many are budding. Not sure if lack of water but I sense fall is in the air & might be early. I hope not. Yellowing leaves are falling & Salvias greggii & microphylla are producing seed earlier than I have noticed in the past. Seems like summer should just be taking off even though I know we are on the waning side.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

Confirmation of reply: