Mid July in MA

Mid July in MA

July 13th, 2017, 2:42 pm #1

Now that we have 5 feeders up after 7 days here it seems the number of hummers are gradually increasing every day.
So far the activity is similar to previous summers and increasing as in previous years. The majority of the hummers thus far have been adults with a few immature birds. More adult males (more than last year) probably a dozen or so, double that number of adult females and virtually all with nest markings. I surmise that many of the females are still tending to birds in the nest and fledging is around the corner.

Expecting more rain today and tomorrow so feeder usage will be brisk. The last 4 days we have settled into consistent
solution usage, 1 pt. then next day 1 qt. In past years after the 2nd week year we normally see a qt. a day with a peak in late Jul. early Aug. for a week or so of 2-3 qts. a day and 6-7 feeders up.
Cheers and happy humming birding,
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

July 13th, 2017, 2:51 pm #2

I miss those kind of numbers Joe. In Cali I had 4 feeders up during the breeding season and probably should have hung more. By July the birds were regularly putting away 35 to as many as 50 ounces of solution per day. I'm hoping next season will be bigger for me here once my yard really gets established. For now I have 2 feeders and probably 6-8 regular visitors, just 2 adult males as far as I can tell.

July 13th, 2017, 4:28 pm #3

Now that we have 5 feeders up after 7 days here it seems the number of hummers are gradually increasing every day.
So far the activity is similar to previous summers and increasing as in previous years. The majority of the hummers thus far have been adults with a few immature birds. More adult males (more than last year) probably a dozen or so, double that number of adult females and virtually all with nest markings. I surmise that many of the females are still tending to birds in the nest and fledging is around the corner.

Expecting more rain today and tomorrow so feeder usage will be brisk. The last 4 days we have settled into consistent
solution usage, 1 pt. then next day 1 qt. In past years after the 2nd week year we normally see a qt. a day with a peak in late Jul. early Aug. for a week or so of 2-3 qts. a day and 6-7 feeders up.
Joe

Its good to hear activity is picking up in your area. I have only 3 feeders up but yesterday before going to kings island I put in a full qt the night before and after returning home I noticed half that was gone. So the action appears to be picking up and by months end should be even better as august is usually my strongest time at least for the first 3 weeks.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 13th, 2017, 8:58 pm #4

Rain started just after noon and the temperature at 70 (high of the day), at 4:45 its down to 62 here, and the rain continues.
Just about ready to put the sweats on since this Floridian isn't use to temps., in the low 60's during the day along with high humidity.
Hummer activity as a result has been brisk and we have refilled feeders several times, 1 1/2 qt. used so far today.
First opportunity to stand under the eves with a bottle feeder in my hand and within 30 sec. had a young bird feeding greedily followed by two others. The hummers are getting plenty of what they are looking for and I'm enjoying watching the feeder activity. The hummers always make my day regardless of the weather conditions.
Cheers,
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

July 15th, 2017, 9:26 pm #5

Always like a photo that shows a hummer with an interesting posture, little doubt he was curious about the sound of the camera shutter.
After 2 1/2 days of rain it was nice to see the sun here.
Cowbirds showed up at the seed feeder which didn't make me happy but then a return of several house finches which did!

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

July 16th, 2017, 10:33 pm #6

Now that is a GREAT shot! Just needs a whimsical caption
Tom M
St. Pete, FL

July 17th, 2017, 4:58 am #7

Nice shot!!
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

July 18th, 2017, 5:46 pm #8

Nice..Shes checking u out.
Northlake, IL

July 18th, 2017, 7:06 pm #9

Hilarious picture!!!