November 10th, 2010, 1:50 am #1

This is from an Andy Brown message.

Hi David,

One thing is for sure - November will be a lot less stressful than
October. I guess that's all part and parcel of moving home and it's
a relief to be able to type here that my move is officially over and
I'm now living in St Andrews.

Whilst I always thoroughly enjoyed living a few miles out, my
dream has always been to live within the Auld Grey Toun.

Now I'm very happy with my lot but if for one second you were
considering buying a place overlooking the 18th green on the Old
Course I can definitely point you in the right direction!

But first a heads up - over the last few years the iconic redstone
building named Hamilton Hall, that sits right behind the 18th green,
has been left to fall into a state of disrepair

Luckily during the Open a large grandstand obscures the worst
of it from the TV viewers around the world.

Fortunately that is about to all change.

This week councillors voted in favour of Herb Kohler, owner
of the Old Course Hotel, transforming Hamilton Hall into a public bar,
restaurant and wait for it ... 26 luxury apartments.

Considering the work will take 2 years and cost about £35 million
it is safe to say they will be a tad expensive!

To be honest with you, I'm just very happy that this great building,
now to be renamed Hamilton Grand will return to its former glory.

November 10th, 2010, 8:34 pm #2

cd,
Well, at least they kept that wonderful old Scottish name, ie, Hamilton...and there will be a pub too. Are you now considering buying one of Herb Kohler's 26 luxury apartments and perhaps having Kevin Kostner and George Clooney as neighbors? There is one thing to keep in mind about old buildings in Scotland--they are usually cold.

Here's an interesting piece of trivia about Hamilton Hall and St Andrews. You may recall the great old film, "Chariots of Fire," (Academy Award for Best Picture of 1981) about the English and Scottish runners in the 1924 Olympics. The opening scenes are of the British Olympic team running along a beach, accompanied by the iconic main musical theme by Vangelis. As the opening credits and music fade, the team is depicted veering toward their hotel, supposedly in Kent. In fact, West Sands beach at St Andrews (where Richard had scheduled his Hamilton Hall protest back in May) was the actual location for these scenes and Hamilton Hall stood in for the Kent hotel. Cheers, J. Hamilton

November 11th, 2010, 3:45 am #3

Jim,

I might consider buying in if all the forum members came in as partners?
It would have to be a bunch of us. We could draw lots to select tenants.

We do know a guy on the inside don't we?

November 17th, 2010, 5:14 pm #4

...you know the rest. I don't know what the apartments will sell for, somewhere up in the stratosphere I suppose, but maybe we could get one of those "sub-prime mortgages" we've heard so much about. Interestingly, one of the issues facing Kohler's marketing is that officials of the R&A Club have said there will be no "automatic" membership in the Royal and Ancient for buyers of the apartments--got to keep the riff-raff out, you know. One of the apocryphal stories about the origins of the building of the Hamilton Grand Hotel in 1895 is that builder Thomas Hamilton was thoroughly miffed at having been rejected for membership in the R&A. Jim

November 17th, 2010, 6:46 pm #5

As a card carrying riff-raffer I hereby relinquish all hope of
residing in Hamilton Hall. "Oh God" I cried; "My valuable dream has died".

Maybe you can parlay your good name into an annual visit with
Richard Wax. You could pose as a visiting forebear or some such.

November 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm #6

I don't know that Richard has given up on what has been described in one article as a quixotic quest, but his web site, Save St Andrews, is still up. I think money has spoken. One can imagine a British Open at the Old Course in a few years in which, during the Sunday final round, at least some of the network cameras will be trained, not on the 18th green, but on the windows of the Hamilton Grand to perhaps catch a glimpse of some movie star or, who knows, maybe even Herb Kohler himself. Perhaps there will be a short TV segment with a tour of his apartment. I'll bet the bathroom fixtures will be quite nice. Jim

November 18th, 2010, 5:28 pm #7

I'm all turned around backerds.

I thought the Kohler project was what Richard was pushing for.
So he was trying to save Hamilton Hall from the jet set?

November 19th, 2010, 4:03 pm #8

Richard and his group had in mind something completely different from Kohler's luxury apartments for the ultra rich. The building would have become a welcome center for the many thousands of golf pilgrims making their long-dreamed-of trek to St Andrews and the Old Course, a public course owned by the city not by the R&A. There would have been information for visitors, history of golf displays and a comprehensive library of golf information and swing research data, a meeting place for players to set up games at the many and varied courses in Fife and, of course, a convivial "19th hole" to commune and commiserate with golfing partners. Richard also envisioned its being a worldwide exchange for course design and maintenance strategies along with the latest ideas on minimizing impact on the environment and water resources in the plannning and building of new courses. This is only a partial list. Some of the articles at Savestandrews.com describe it in more detail. Richard garnered a lot of support from golfers around the world but Kohler is well connected in St Andrews as owner of a golf course and the Old Course Hotel (the one in view from the 17th tee of the Old Course). Suffice it to say that Richard was, and I suppose still is, adamantly opposed to the Kohler plan, but it looks like the billionaire will win in the end. Richard's alternative would have required the City to reject Kohler's plans with a subsequent sale of the building to Richard's group. In my view, it was always a long shot. Jim

November 20th, 2010, 1:53 am #9

I just bought a Kohler toilet.
So I'll at least help pay for the joint.

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

November 27th, 2010, 11:52 am #10

We are still watching the evolution of all that happens in St Andrews closely. Golf has been played in the Home of Golf for 600 years and hopefully for the future 600 years. So we are taking a long view of all that happens and when I have some hard news to announce, rest assured that Mindy's forum superbly animated by Jim will be my first port of call.

Richard WAX
Richard WAX

March 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm #11

This is from an Andy Brown message.

Hi David,

One thing is for sure - November will be a lot less stressful than
October. I guess that's all part and parcel of moving home and it's
a relief to be able to type here that my move is officially over and
I'm now living in St Andrews.

Whilst I always thoroughly enjoyed living a few miles out, my
dream has always been to live within the Auld Grey Toun.

Now I'm very happy with my lot but if for one second you were
considering buying a place overlooking the 18th green on the Old
Course I can definitely point you in the right direction!

But first a heads up - over the last few years the iconic redstone
building named Hamilton Hall, that sits right behind the 18th green,
has been left to fall into a state of disrepair

Luckily during the Open a large grandstand obscures the worst
of it from the TV viewers around the world.

Fortunately that is about to all change.

This week councillors voted in favour of Herb Kohler, owner
of the Old Course Hotel, transforming Hamilton Hall into a public bar,
restaurant and wait for it ... 26 luxury apartments.

Considering the work will take 2 years and cost about £35 million
it is safe to say they will be a tad expensive!

To be honest with you, I'm just very happy that this great building,
now to be renamed Hamilton Grand will return to its former glory.
Success after many years of patient and time-consuming research in the Home of Golf! As of today we have announced the creation of a consulting entity overlooking the 18th green of the Old Course at 12 The Links.

My own company Golf Surveys Ltd has formed a partnership with Elmwood College of Greenkeeping to advise governments, golf federations and clubs on best practice.

The board room from which I am writing this has a view which cannot be beaten on Planet Golf. It looks down the Chariots of Fire beach, across to the R and A and quite literally is 18 yards from the Valley of Sin.

I'm sure Mindy would have approved of the leverage which this permits us to use. We are three around the table with close ties to experts in Melbourne, Dallas and Connecticut.

Mindy's swing was more than just a means of propelling a ball from A to B. It was an exercise in using the large muscles of the body efficiently. What we are able to do via the internet and because of our unique location is to send a message through to the golf world which we are confident will prevent considerable wastages of land, water and resources.

We are organising and hosting the St Andrews World Golf Forum this coming October here in St Andrews which will be followed six months later by a Forum in Shanghai before returning to St Andrews the following October.

So I feel it most appropriate that the Mindy Forum should be the first body to learn of our breakthrough and I pay my sincere respects as ever to Jim for his outstanding support of Mindy's genius...

The sun just came out, the evening light is gorgeous so I'm off for a stroll on the beach before heading off to the Dunvegan pub for an evening's golfing company!

Cheers!

Richard

March 18th, 2011, 10:19 pm #12

Hello Richard,

My hearty congratulations on establishing your consulting partnership with Elmwood College and, as you always wanted, in the Home of Golf. Despite all obstacles you overcame and reached your goal. I'm wondering if you might now be in the market for a summer home in St Andrews. The Elmwood College of Greenkeeping website suggests that it must be one of the most prestigious in its field. I wish you great success in your future efforts in concert with them.

Since you mentioned the pleasures you anticipated at the Dunvegan Pub, I glanced at the Dunvegan Hotel website, run by Jack and Sheena Willoughby (noting that Jack is an old Texas Aggie). The lounge bar is described by the Golf Channel as "one of the best hangouts in the world of golf." Trip Advisor (a rating website) gives the hotel and the lounge bar rave reviews and it's only 112 yards from the 18th green of the Old Course (just a few yards further than Hamilton Hall). Anyway, the Dugvegan would seem to be ideal accommodation for anyone considering that dream holiday in St Andrews.

As for Mindy Blake's swing, or any elite swing for that matter, in my humble view, the secret is not in deliberately and painstakingly mastering the details of body postion and precision of motion, but rather it's "hidden" in an elusive moment (that never happens for most golfers) when one serendipitously happens upon the true "feel" of an elite swing, sort of like that moment when, as a kid, after much frustration, you suddenly got the hang of riding a bicycle and it seemed easy after that. However, there must be something more subtle and complex about an elite swing because of the extremely small percentage of seekers who ever find the treasure. This may be a partial explanation of why thousands of golf instructors around the world, for the most part, are unable to teach hackers how to become elite swingers.

Warm regards, Jim

Confirmation of reply: