Longwood Gardens Trip TODAY!!

Longwood Gardens Trip TODAY!!

July 12th, 2012, 10:24 pm #1

I am attempting to store some northern memories in my blank brain before going south, if we ever make it. But thats another story. We saw a concert at a local venue this summer, went whale watching with my daughter, got a tattoo and I am adding Longwood to the list. Never been,not sure why, maybe the ride. But tomorrow I will finally see the gardens in their glory days!

To anyone that has been there, nd I know there are a few hummer members that have, Is there any specific areas that are a "Can't Miss"?? I don't want to come home and say, Darn, I didn't see that!!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Last edited by seafire1 on July 13th, 2012, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2012, 12:34 am #2

if you are there you must go through it all

Vicki

July 13th, 2012, 2:30 am #3

I am attempting to store some northern memories in my blank brain before going south, if we ever make it. But thats another story. We saw a concert at a local venue this summer, went whale watching with my daughter, got a tattoo and I am adding Longwood to the list. Never been,not sure why, maybe the ride. But tomorrow I will finally see the gardens in their glory days!

To anyone that has been there, nd I know there are a few hummer members that have, Is there any specific areas that are a "Can't Miss"?? I don't want to come home and say, Darn, I didn't see that!!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Thanks Vicki, I guess thats one WAY not to miss anything!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 13th, 2012, 9:25 am #4

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

There is one garden (don't know what they have done this year) that you must see. After you've shown your ticket you leave the center and head to your right. There is a long line of evergreen and lawn off in that direction and to the left of that is a huge long garden that is entered through an area of gray desert type plants. This garden goes from darkest purple at one end to white at the other traveling through all the colors. Other years they have used many of the forums favorite plants like guaraniticas and Indigo Spires and Salvia Van Houttii in huge patches. Presumably they are doing something similar this year. The display can be so intense it can knock you off your feet. At the far south end of the gardens, if you had turned left after entering is a wonderful display of home garden type plants. This should also be really good.

Bring your camera. I wish I was there with you and John. I will probably head down in August if I can find the time.

Other things - food is excellent but a little pricy - the conservatory can be mind blowing and within it you can see some of their propagation.

July 13th, 2012, 10:10 am #5

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Thanks Ward!! This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!!! Printed your directions and have several cameras. Wish you were coming along also, than I wouldn't have to read all the botanical labels! . Hey, its still early, we could swing by on our way.....

John makes an excellent photographer. I point and command Picture! He also is very good at carrying the bundles of goodies I leave with, but a Kindered Spirit would be an awesome addition to my Northern Memory Book. I was serious about the invite.

P.s. I thought about what you said about the sea bird on the beach. You were so right!! There was astorm the night before and he probably got wiped out and needed a rest and all these landlubbers were making a fuss. OR. It was his last day on earth and he wanted to leave this world watching His last sunrise, which was a beautiful one. So glad I didn't rob him of that. Hugs to you.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Last edited by seafire1 on July 13th, 2012, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2012, 10:21 am #6

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Pam, if you had given me some warning I would have seriously considered taking the day off and going. I usually wait until a bit later in the summer to give that purple to white garden a chance to mature. If you have any question or get lost you can call me at the office - 215-322-8705 x120. If I don't pick up just leave a message because I am never far from my desk. A weekday is best for a visit. I like it because it gives me a chance to talk a bit with the gardeners who work there. Also notice their cunning use of support for some of the plants we grow that flop or get out of hand in some other way. It can be very instructive.

July 13th, 2012, 10:31 am #7

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Pam
Make sure John doesn't miss anything. For those of us who will never get to Longwood we want lots of photos

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 13th, 2012, 11:02 am #8

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Your nit at WORK YET, Feel a cold coming on??? I thought you were spontaneous?????

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 13th, 2012, 11:52 am #9

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

Penny, Johns batteries are all charged up!! . We have two cameras, a little point and shoot and his SLR. We also have a picnic lunch with homemade cucumber salad and sandwiches and a few light coctails. (does that do it for you Ward?). We will probably eat dinner there. I am wearing sandles so it doesn't rub on the Tat, but brought sneakers along cause I'm not sure how long I can walk in flip flops! i'm so excited, like a little kid!! Wonder where Suchie is????

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 13th, 2012, 12:07 pm #10

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

I will be going along in spirit! It sounds like a wonderful excersion!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

Confirmation of reply: