Lobelia cardinalis as bog plant, anyone try it?

Lobelia cardinalis as bog plant, anyone try it?

June 23rd, 2016, 4:10 pm #1

I know they are considered a bog plant, so I've decided to experiment. I cut a stalk from the garden and tossed it into the edge of the pond. With past pond plants I would just bury the roots in the rocks and let them go, so I have done the same here. On the first day it wilted, day 2 it perked up and is standing tall. Let the experiment begin. Anyone else have any pics or experience with it in there pond?

Northlake, IL

June 23rd, 2016, 5:24 pm #2

I have not tried this but I like your picture. I'm curious too. I have some in a plantainer which don't seem too happy but that could be because it gets too hot, the clay soil is becoming too compacted or I'm just not giving it enough water; in the past I had a lot of water and it started to smell anaerobic.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

June 23rd, 2016, 5:50 pm #3

I know they are considered a bog plant, so I've decided to experiment. I cut a stalk from the garden and tossed it into the edge of the pond. With past pond plants I would just bury the roots in the rocks and let them go, so I have done the same here. On the first day it wilted, day 2 it perked up and is standing tall. Let the experiment begin. Anyone else have any pics or experience with it in there pond?

Nice experiment going there. I do know that at one of favorite greenhouses when they have lobelia cardinalis they have it in a pot and sitting in water, so I see no reason why it wont prevail.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 23rd, 2016, 6:16 pm #4

We have grown Lobelia cardinalis in our small, shallow pond before and it was successful. The plant loves water, so why not? It may only be an annual in our colder zone though as it would not overwinter in such a situation (we shut our pond down for the winter.)

Looks great Alex. Go for it!!

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

June 23rd, 2016, 6:25 pm #5

I have grown Lobelia cardinalis for years. It can grow, planted in shallow water, but it doesn't NEED to be that wet. It just needs moist rich soil. So it is great for a bog garden or just a low spot in your garden, where water collects. You can also grow it in relatively "normal" parts of the garden, provided that you supply extra watering when it gets dry.

I think the tiny seeds will not germinate in water so I suspect wherever it grows "in water", the spot was seasonally flooded and is not under water year-round. Here is my "patch", growing in a low moist, bit not wet, spot in my garden.

Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

June 24th, 2016, 2:35 pm #6

Thanks to all for replying.

I used to put my plants in a pond planter with tarp and soil. Then I started to look into lillies and how people planted them. So I started to bury the roots in the gravel and I never looked back. All the plants in my pond are planted that way and go CRAZY. I used to have fish until the raccoons & heron got a hold of them.
Northlake, IL

June 24th, 2016, 9:17 pm #7

Alex,
This will be fun to see if it does root.. you did say it was just a stalk?
I love this plant and just popped a whole bunch of wintersown
ones all over the yard, I'm waiting to see if they like where they are at
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

June 25th, 2016, 2:43 am #8

Yep, I just grabbed one sitting on the outside edge. The stalk did wilt earlier today, checked on it this evening and it was standing tall.
Northlake, IL

June 25th, 2016, 1:04 pm #9

Mine are not flowering as yet , but should be in the near future.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 25th, 2016, 10:24 pm #10

Mine wilt every warm day if I don't water. Someone posted (here or Garden Web) photos quite awhile ago of a L. cardinalis stalk tossed into a pond where it rooted. It's been said this plant can't be over watered.

June 27th, 2016, 3:11 pm #11

It grows wild in certain spots in western PA. I see it along streams, but I've never actually seen it growing in the water. That may be because the streams themselves are rocky and gravelly with no real soil to grow in. Instead, they grow along the banks in the soil, or in slightly higher islands in the streams, as close to the water as they can. I'm sure they get flooded now and then, too.

My morning sun/part shade garden is a two foot deep hole lined with pond liner and filled with soil. It is not boggy, but that liner keeps it nice and moist. Sometimes if we have a lot of rain, water will stand briefly just at the surface, something you seldom see in my overly well drained yard, filled with tree roots and sitting on so much rock and limestone that the water just seems to disappear into it and the soil gets dry. Anyway, it's not like growing it in a pond, but it does well in these conditions, and so does my Mimulus cardinalis. The Mimulus seems to like very similar conditions and I suspect it would grow in standing water as well.

The deer are eating my Lobelia cardinalis, too. They're eating everything! Lobelia cardinalis are supposed to be deer resistant, but they're nibbling at it, chomping main stalks down to stumps. Interestingly, they haven't touched the Lobelia siphilitica that I have mixed in. We'll see if it manages to bloom unscathed.

Interesting theory about the seed germination not occurring in water. Sounds very plausible.

June 27th, 2016, 3:35 pm #12

The lesson in all this is the plant needs a very high water table, well within the reach of its roots because other wise it turns the gardener into a slave with a watering can. Around here is grows along pond and creek edges and is far from an abundant plants. At the park it grow sparingly just above the tide line (freshwater tidal).
Southern New Jersey

June 27th, 2016, 3:54 pm #13

Mine originally did grow in a boggy corner of my yard where the yard sloped down to an old creek that ran the length of our yard. I have since been moving new starts to various locations around the gutter downspouts etc. and now I could supply the whole town with plants.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state