Lesson 5 Balbi Golf

Lesson 5 Balbi Golf

May 16th, 2018, 4:15 pm #1

More of the same.  My swing is better but I have a long ways to go yet.  Mostly we worked on keeping the trail leg in place on the backswing and then firing the trail leg and then straightening the lead leg to post up at impact.  Even though it is much less then before I still have the backwards hip movement during transition.  When I make the simpler leg movements the backwards hip movement goes away and the ground plate chart looks pretty good:
frcPlateLesson5jpg.jpg
I have to swing very slowly in order to do even that well!  When I can swing at full speed and the plot looks more like this one I will be a much better ball striker:
FrcPltPro.JPG
My plan is to do a lot of slow motion swings to try and get the movement ingrained a bit.  I can use video to see how I am doing as I know what to look for now.  Knowing what I want as oppossed to the guess work that I was doing in the past is rather comforting.  I know where I am and I know where I want to go and I believe that I can do it!  It is just a matter of time now. 

Another part of the equation for making a good weight shift is what the arms are doing.  If the arms take over and hit at the ball it throws the weight shift out of wack.  Right now feeling like I am dragging the arms through really relaxed produces the best results.  Powering the swing with the body is something that I can do to some extent but on almost every swing I can still feel a little bit of hit in there.  On really poor swings I can feel a lot of hit! LOL

What do you think, will old Herbert ever get there?

Herbert
Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right

May 17th, 2018, 5:53 pm #2

We can only go by what you tell us!  :)

If you keep working on this move, you should get there.  It's impossible to know what will then result.

May 19th, 2018, 4:26 am #3

Don M wrote: We can only go by what you tell us!  :)

If you keep working on this move, you should get there.  It's impossible to know what will then result.
Yes, I am hitting some really sweet shots when I can do something that feels close to the right movement.  I am hitting it far with a lower trajectory with very low effort.  I still have a long ways to go to get it right though and my old swing is always lurking nearby!  Undoing the backwards hip movement to start the downswing has been a project.  Hopefully I am getting it and I will see some positive change during my next lesson.

I am starting to see what kind of golfer someone is by watching for two things.  One is how the hips move through the swing especially during the transition.  Most bad players hips are doing weird stuff on the back and downswing.  The second thing is how fast the transition is.  When I golf with someone who has a lot of hip movement and a really quick transition with a lot of arm powered effort I know that they will have a lot of poorly hit shots and I will probably be helping them look for their ball quite often.  Also it seems like the more the pressure is on the less likely that their swing will work.

Herbert
Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right

Confirmation of reply: